A few trailer issues - Tires and Winch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few trailer issues - Tires and Winch

Hey All! I need to get some opinions on a few trailer items.

My winch needs to be replaced and I was just curious if anyone had any good suggestions for a replacement. Right now I have a Shelby 5466 model and its rated for 2,300 lbs. The handle has snapped at the bottom and the gears slip often while cranking.

My other question is for my trailer tires. I had a blow out this weekend while driving home from Lake Mohave about 280 miles to Los Angeles. This is the 2nd time this has happened. I have never spent too much time looking at the tires since they were brand new from the dealer when I bought the boat 2 years ago. Well it turns out they put some pretty cheap passenger tires on. 6 tires at 1,642lbs load each should be enough but I can't help but think that because they aren't trailer tires this may be why they keep blowing out. Any ideas/opinions on this?

If they are inflated to the recommend passenger car tire PSI thats imprinted on the side wall of the tire, which is usually 35 PSI, then yes, I would say without a doubt, thats the cause of repeated blowouts. Trailer tires need to be inflated higher and have stiffer side walls.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That's what I was thinking too. Max PSI on these is 44 and they just don't seem to be enough to handle the distance and temps. I just wish I noticed sooner because it is going to be pretty difficult to get the dealer to replace them now

Comment

Did you say six tires?

Is it the same tire, or axel, that blew this time?
        The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your tires. What tire size is currently on there?

Not sure what the mounting of the trailer setup for the winch is like? I used some smaller versions of this fulton winch for my Jet Skis. They work great! I like how theres no way to get anything caught in there. It's all contained.
          http://www.fultonperformance.com/pro...MhXM4Da3pBWz4=
          Cheapest I can find it for is $132
          http://www.zoro.com/i/G5113315/?utm_...FSxk7AodTCIABg
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I upgraded to a Fulton two-speed winch and love it.

I also change my winch strap every few seasons. And carry a spare. Yes, I snapped a strap on the ramp once upon a time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Black Widow View Post
              That's what I was thinking too. Max PSI on these is 44 and they just don't seem to be enough to handle the distance and temps. I just wish I noticed sooner because it is going to be pretty difficult to get the dealer to replace them now
              44PSI is far better than 35PSI, is that where you have been keeping them? Low pressure = excessive build up which = failure.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by AdaminMN View Post
                Did you say six tires?
                Yeah we have a triple axle, not necessary but it's what came with the boat.

Comment

The current tires are 235/60/15 and have a load rating of about 1600. I keep them at max psi as much as possible but they tend to lose air quickly.

The blow outs have happened on different axles and different sides so that's why I was thinking a tire issue more than anything else.

Comment

From my perspective if you are running max pressure and pulling across the desert in the summer the Tires are actually exceedeing there pressure limit. They can go up as much as 10-15 lbs as the tire warms up. I have done that drive many times and have had some blow outs because of my decsion to put on passenger car tires on a trailer. (learned my lesson) I would hit up a reputable tire place and have trailer rated tire put on.

Comment

I second GWhites opinion about getting actualy trailer tires, and keep them at max COLD PSI. The max cold psi takes into account tires heating due to driving and ambient temps. You need to check them and add air first thing in the morning, before rolling the tires if possible.

The other thing I would look at is make sure the trailer is level, with a tripple axle I can imagine that being slightly off level or loading the trailer unevenly could put too much weight on a single tire, and car tires are not made to handle that weight. I recently put Khumo 857s, load range D and they helped pull the trailer much better. They are 65psi max cold and can carry about 2,000 per tire. My boat and trailer combined weight in at 6400 on certified scales.

Lastly, watch your speed, I've seen some posting on here and WW bragging about cruising at 75-85. The Kuhmos are rated for 65 mph, and a Goodyear Marathon tire bullitin says that thier tires, 50 psi cold, can exceed thier 65 mph rating by increasing the tire pressure 10psi. Low inflation and high speeds are a recipe for a blowout. Here is a copy and paste from their bullitin:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...plications.pdf

Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires
                      Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires.
                      • Goodyear Marathon Special Trailer tires, with the “ST” size designation, are speed rated at 65 MPH (105 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
                      • This speed rating is based on Tire and Rim Association loads and inflation pressures for ST trailer tires without a service description for speeds up through 65 mph. (ref: TRA 2013 Year Book)
                      • If Goodyear tires, with the ST designation, are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 120 km/h), we recommend the cold inflation pressure be increased by 10 psi (70 kPa) above the recommended pressure based on the trailer placard for normal inflation and load conditions. You should also consult your trailer manufacturer’s Owner’s Manual for maximum operating speed recommendations for the trailer.
                      o Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (70 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
                      o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel or the valve.
                      o If the maximum pressure for the wheel or valve prohibits the increase of inflation pressure, then the 65 mph rated speed must observed as the maximum speed.
                      o It may be necessary to dismount the tire from the wheel to determine the maximum rated inflation for the wheel and valve. *
                      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by The Black Widow View Post
                        The current tires are 235/60/15 and have a load rating of about 1600. I keep them at max psi as much as possible but they tend to lose air quickly.

The blow outs have happened on different axles and different sides so that's why I was thinking a tire issue more than anything else.
                        The tire/wheel size is likely why they are are passenger car tires and not trailer tires. But, i think you have identified to problem in that the tires are losing air. I think if you can find the source of leaks, the tires will maintain a proper air pressure and your random failures will stop.

Comment

You might consider a tire pressure monitoring system
                          I installed this one on my trailer
                          http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electro...ds=tpms+orange
                          It includes a temperature monitor in the sensor. It is accurate and has been reliable - great insurance for $129 - or maybe $238 for your trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by mls6722 View Post
                            You might consider a tire pressure monitoring system
                            I installed this one on my trailer
                            http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electro...ds=tpms+orange
                            It includes a temperature monitor in the sensor. It is accurate and has been reliable - great insurance for $129 - or maybe $238 for your trailer.
                            This is a great idea... Thanks mls....

Comment

Working...
                            X