Would this work for my 21v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this work for my 21v?

So I am considering picking up a trailer for my 99 21v. I purchased the boat a couple years ago without a trailer because I live on a lake and keep it on the lift all season. We have been paying big money to have the boat picked up, transported, winterized, stored, and delivered in the spring. After calling the local Tige dealer, I was told it would be around $5k for a new custom trailer. Unfortunately that is out of my price range at the moment.

I found a trailer on craigslist and am considering picking it up but need some help. Could I make this one work for my 21v? The trailer would only be used to transport the boat to and from storage (about 20 miles) in the spring and fall. It would sit on it all winter but would rarely see milage.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...609067386.html

Let me know your thoughts... Thanks!!!

Looks to me that the axles would be too far forward, placing the center of gravity behind them = no tongue wight. That looks like a trailer for an outboard boat.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Looks to me that the axles would be too far forward, placing the center of gravity behind them = no tongue wight. That looks like a trailer for an outboard boat.
      Shoot- I was hoping that could work. So with that option out, I gotta ask is there any alternative to spending nearly 5k on a custom build trailer? I haven't been able to find any inboard trailers used so I am at a bit of a dead end.

Comment

Just came across this - apparently the trailer itself is up for sale...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...613179860.html

Comment

I'd find out more trailer dimensions before I made any decisions.

Compare the measurement from the bow eye to the middle of your boat's engine block. Then you can see where the engine would sit in relation to the axels on the trailer. Hopefully, somebody on here will chime in with those measurements on a factory trailer. If the engine sits directly over the axels, you may be in luck, if it sits behind them, I'd pass.

Other things to keep in mind besides weight placement...

If this was an "outboard" trailer, you may not have enough clearance for the tracking fins, strut, prop shaft. and rudder.

Another thing the trailer builders will do, is place the trailer bunks under the stringers for the motor. See if the bunks can be adjusted to the correct width.

But, as CHP says, you need an acceptable amount tongue weight.

My
          The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

Working...
          X