OEM Carlisle Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Carlisle Tires

I know it has been discussed numerous times but if you have these tires on your trailer you really should have them replaced. Left my house on Friday for the lake house and didn't make it down the road 20 minutes before I had a blowout. Luckily I have a spare (not on a rim) which I made sure to bring with me. The only downside was my spare was the worst tire I had and had gotten a replacement for my trailer not even a month ago. Anyway, limped the truck to the next exit where we could pull the tire. I am always one to be prepared as I always say to my wife it's not a matter of "if" but "when" we get stuck on the side of the road. I also made sure to bring my half inch breaker bar/torque wrench so we had no issues quickly popping the tire. Threw the 2 tires in the truck and headed for the closest tire shop. As soon as the guy at the shop sees the tires he says "oh, these things. These tires are crappy and I change them out all of the time". which I had already known. The guy also say "Tige trailer?" He swapped out the two tires on the rim and we went back to the boat with the plan on towing boat right back and having all 4 tires swapped out for new as I was nervous and was pretty much a garauntee that my spare was going to blow as well (it had cracks all the way around the sidewall). The tire shop had us turned around and out in under an hour which was awesome. It made a 2hr drive a 5.5hr all said and done. We recovered and were still able to get on the water Friday eve.

I was nervous all week about the trailer. When I bought the boat in the spring from the previous owner he mentioned the trailer (09) had maybe 2000km on it as the first owner had the boat on a lift and the second lived really close to the lake. As I said above I had just replaced the worst tire on the trailer as it had cracks going all the way around the outside wall. I've read on here as well as WW how crappy these tires are. I was putting off buying a spare rim as I have already been spending quite a bit this spring (new boat, insurance, $ 2400 surf bimini) so I was just putting it off. As others have said it doesn't matter how the wear is on the tire but the age of the tire itself. Mine, besides the one all looked brand new still. If you have these tires and trailer great distances I would highly suggest replacing all four tires. I still need to order a spare rim and then go back for a spare tire as well.
    Attached Files

No good on the tires. But thanks for posting the pics. Man is BC beautiful or what.

Comment

I replaced my tires last year on my 2009 trailer. They were Carlisle and they didn't give me problems but when looking at the date on the tires my original tires were produced in 2007, so they were 6 years old when I replaced them. Like you said, it's a matter of time, not miles on trailer tires. It's a good reminder for everyone to check their tires and replace them when they get around 6 years old. I bet your original tires were made in 07-08 so they were probably over 6 years old when they failed. Also make sure your tires are full of air, under inflated tires are also a major tire killer, and the combo of old tires and under-inflation can almost garuntee failure when it's most inconvenient.
      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Btw, what did you replace them with?

Comment

I always check and fill the tire pressure before I make the trip up. I put on Maxmiler GT's. ST215/75R15 http://www.gtradial.ca/en/MAXMILER_ST.html

Thanks 25cents: Our summer house is 3 hours north east of Vancouver (2hrs from my house). Once you get over the rockies it's like northern California. The largest cattle ranch in Canada (Douglas Lake Ranch) is across the lake from us with a hotel that was built in the late 1800's during the gold rush.
          Attached Files

Comment

Gorgeous setting. I wish my home lake was this pretty.

I'm still on my original tires - as when I bought it the original owner stated they had < 1000 miles on them. I should probably replace them too.

Also - great looking color scheme on your boat - same as mine! I wish I had the Alpha Z tower instead of the E Series.

Comment

Most trailer suppliers put on the 205 x 14 tires. For just a few dollars more put on the 215 x 14 tires. They carry more weight and therefore are not stressed as much. The 215 will fit on most trailers without a problem.

Comment

I replaced my Carlisle 205R14 with Kuhmo 857 195R14. They have a stiffer sidewall than the Carliles, they are also rated at higher speeds with a max PSI of 65. Big improvement over the Carlisle or Goodyear tires.

Comment

Working...
                X