Keep blowing fuse on tow vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep blowing fuse on tow vehicle

So went out this weekend and noticed that the trailer lights weren't working when I turned tow lights on. I checked he 7 way adaptor that connects to my 5 port trailer hookup to see if it was lose and everything looked good. I then checked the fuses on my tow vehicle and found that the fuse for towing was blown. I replaced the fuse and turned on the lights and lights worked for about 5 minutes then they went out. Checked the fuse again and it was blown again. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting the trailer?

I would start by looking at the light bulbs and fixtures and see if any are damaged, or full of water, then look on the backside of the lights and look for lose or frayed wired that could be shorting out, then look along the length of the trailer at intersections where wires could have rubbed and frayed and might be shorting out. But I'm just a shade tree mechanic.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I had the same issue on my old trailer. It ended up being a frayed wire at the back of the trailer near the tail light. This could be anywhere in your trailer but it sounds as if it's the same issue. Before I finally found the issue I was replacing fuses almost every time we left the lake.

Comment

I had a short somewhere in the trailer and would blow the trailer lights fuse every time I turned them on. I couldn't locate it because the wires were run inside the trailer so I ended up having to rewire the lights. Didn't take very long and I haven't blown a fuse since.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
          I would start by looking at the light bulbs and fixtures and see if any are damaged, or full of water, then look on the backside of the lights and look for lose or frayed wired that could be shorting out, then look along the length of the trailer at intersections where wires could have rubbed and frayed and might be shorting out. But I'm just a shade tree mechanic.
          I would try this first. but one question, Have you tired it with a new fuse and without the trailer connected to make sure it not an issue with the truck?
          Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

I have one brake/signal light that doesn't work too. Trailer is fine... as it works with my dad's truck. I have to see if there is a special fuse for it. Truck is an avalanche.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions I'm going to follow all the wiring and see if I can find a damaged wire then check the fixtures for damage

Comment

Well I found the culprit, it was one of the LED lights by the tail light. The connector was completely off the fixture so it was grounding out against the trailer frame. I don't know how I missed it when I inspected the lights to see if they were all on. Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X