Boatmate trailer locks up when reversing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boatmate trailer locks up when reversing

My new boatmate trailer is locking up whenever I reverse. It happened on two different trucks today while I was trying to park my boat in my trailer tonight. I didnt have any issues backing down the boat ramp but it did seem to happen whenever there was a slight downward angle on the trailer tongue. I have the default 7 way (I think) trailer connector that came with the trailer and plugs directly into my truck. Removing the trailer /plug/connector did not seem to make a difference either. Do I need to get an adapter?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Matt Garcia; 06-17-2014, 04:36 AM.

Is there an uphill slope as you try to back it in? I have to use the manual lockout on the trailer brakes to back it up the incline to get it up to my garage.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
      Is there an uphill slope as you try to back it in? I have to use the manual lockout on the trailer brakes to back it up the incline to get it up to my garage.
      Yep theres a slight uphill. Where is the manual lockout and how do I engage it? Thanks.

Comment

It depends on how your tongue works, take a picture of both sides of it and I'll be able to tell you.
        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
          It depends on how your tongue works, take a picture of both sides of it and I'll be able to tell you.
          Thanks! Will do.

Comment

Should be a lock out key in your warranty packet you can insert in the hydraulic brake actuator slide. That will mechanically prevent the brakes from engaging. But I back mine up a slope to my garage every time with no issues. I would guess you have an issue with one of the pins in that plug or a broken wire.
            "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Make sure you pull that lock out key when you are finished. When you pull ahead it will disengage and fall out. I've taped nickels in there before when I'm towing down steep grades to keep the brakes from fully engaging and burning up the rotors.

Comment

Does it have a 7 pin plug or a 7 to 5 adapter? Because when you put your truck into reverse , the power from your backup lights power a solenoid so it releases pressure so the brakes cannot lock up , but if u use a tractor like I do to put my boat in the garage , you have insert a little lockout key between the actuator pin and actuator housing. Some use a turn knob on top as well

https://caltrailerworks.com/online/p...cat=351&page=1

Comment

I have also had the solenoid go out on my trailer before. If your reverse lights are working at your trailer plug you may look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBarnes05-12-84 View Post
                    I have also had the solenoid go out on my trailer before. If your reverse lights are working at your trailer plug you may look into that.
                    I've not had any issues with that solenoid yet but that sure could be it also.it is definitely going to be electrical.

Comment

pics 001.jpg

If you cannot find you lock out key a nickel taped into each actuator slide will do the same thing.

Comment

sometimes you have to install the relay in the tow vehicle as they sometimes do not come installed. I found ours in the compartment where the jack is stored in a plastic bag.
                        2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

I think Matt said it worked backing down the ramp so I would guess it is a wiring or solenoid issue

Comment

Originally posted by Iwndr View Post
                            I think Matt said it worked backing down the ramp so I would guess it is a wiring or solenoid issue
                            If the ramp has a slope then the actuator will release.
                            2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

Originally posted by Iwndr View Post
                              Should be a lock out key in your warranty packet you can insert in the hydraulic brake actuator slide. That will mechanically prevent the brakes from engaging. But I back mine up a slope to my garage every time with no issues. I would guess you have an issue with one of the pins in that plug or a broken wire.
                              Yep. I just found the lockout key in my trailer paperwork. Im gonna try it later today and report back. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X