Anyone use a Weight Distribution Hitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a Weight Distribution Hitch?

Curious to see if anyone uses a weight distribution hitch with their boat? As some of you may recall, I have been looking into a new tow vehicle, during this search the towing capacity has become a very important spec for us to review. Has anyone else noticed that the tow rating almost always seems to be followed by *when properly equipped
    Looking at most vehicles, this appears to be required for most vehicles if towing over 5000 lbs, which I know our boat/trailer weigh. Ford has a very complete trailering guide as an example - link below:
    http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...Tgde_Oct19.pdf

BoatMate does have a recommendation for use with surge brakes and a few options are available designed specifically for use with surge brake equiped trailers - see product in links below:
    http://www.reese-hitches.com/product...800_lbs_,66153
    http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...i-zer/faqs.php

With towing, there is alot of liability placed onto the driver of the tow vehicle and I feel it best to be "properly equipped" in the event of an accident it doesn't put an almost automatic blame on our rig.
    Wondering what happens when the boat weight is removed from the trailer?
    Does the weight distribution arms need to be released before and after loading/unloading?

I know this may seem a bit paranoid, but I would had to have something happen to someone (my family or another) on the road and think I could have done something to prevent is.

Any feedback/experiance would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks all
    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

I had a weight distributing hitch on my last boat, it was a reese with chains to connect the arms to the trailer. It worked pretty well but it made the surge brakes really surge. They were disk brakes but it seemed like it took a bit of braking from the tow vehicle to get the brake actuator to apply some pressure. I've tried to find a weight distributing system that works with my current trailer design, but short of fabricating my own, I haven't found anything off the shelf that will fit with my fold away tongue. The issue is that my fold away tongue is longer than most of the lever arms from a WDH. If you find something that works I'd love to see it. What I have done in the mean time is to make sure I don't exceed the max tongue weight on the tow vehicle and add helper springs to the rear end if it sags a little.
    Last edited by Ewok; 04-23-2014, 04:49 PM.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

At the boat launch, I never removed the arms, I just left them attached and parked the trailer. If I was going to be driving a long distance with an empty trailer I would use the WDH arms to make sure the trailer and tow vehicle is level.

Comment

I've personally never seen one set up on a Tow boat or heard of anyone doing it. For our flatland towing around Minnesota I really think there is no need.

Comment

towed mine from idaho to wisconsin with my 2000 f150 with no issues. felt just fine without any special gear. if I were towing a triple axle sleep aboard boat or one of the huge camp trailers with a diesel, I'd probably do more research but at 5-6k with a boat/trailer, never given it a second thought.
          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I put a lot of research into this as I was customizing my truck to be a good tow rig through the mountains. The general rule of thumb is that tongue weight on a trailer is 10 to 15% of trailer weight for optimized performance. So for a 6500lb boat that means up to 975lbs tongue weight.

A stock Class III hitch will support 500lbs tongue weight, hence they ask for a WD system.

However these rules are for more general towing, such as a toy hauler or an RV. For tow boats, I don't think the numbers make as much sense. First of all, the boat is very aerodynamic. You aren't going to get the induced sway coming from a large blocky trailer. Secondly, the boat is perfectly matched to the trailer (propeller clearance issues notwithstanding). So the weight is set up exactly as it should be.

I think what this means is that boat trailers are designed with a lot less % tongue weight. I'd have to weigh mine to be sure, but I'm willing to bet it is under 500lbs.

I also did look for a WD system for a boat and you can buy a cross member for the swing away hitch, however I really don't think its needed.

Comment

Most large SUVs and 1/2 ton trucks that can tow more than 5,000 lbs have a class IV hitch with a higher tongue weight. Even though my manual says to use a WDH for a trailer heavier than 5,000lbs, I couldn't find one to fit with my swing away tongue. There are many different types of swing away tongues but mine is difficult to find a proper for for a WDH bars that work with surge brakes. I guess an option is to put an electric over hydraulic system on but if that's the proper answer, why doesn't anyone else do it?

I agree with Johnnie, boats are a little different than a box style or RV trailer. The way they are made to be dipped in water and the aerodynamics of a boat make them a little easier to tow an difficult to find a good WDH solution. My take on it is make sure you don't overload the tow vehicle and hitch with too tongue weight and make sure the ball and shank is rated for the weight of the boat.

FWIW, my boats listed dry weight is 4150 but as it sits on the trailer heading to the lake it weighs 6400 lbs with a full tank of gas.

Comment

We use a WDH on our service trailer to pull out our 27-33' customers for service. Super surge brakes is what is should be called. I tow with either a 2500hd or 3500hd Chevy diesel (work trucks) and have actually disconnected the drum brakes on the trailer because of corrosion. Either of these trucks can handle 10,000lbs towing w/o WDH but the braking capacity of the large disc brakes on the trucks makes the difference. I would suggest no WDH for a wake boat and a beefier tow vehicle with the correct braking capacity. "When properly equipped" means "transmission cooler" and nothing else. Manufacturers are worried about owners burning up transmissions without proper cooling.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Weighed my boat today. Tongue weight was 340lbs. You don't need weight distribution.

Comment

Working...
                  X