How do you secure your trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you secure your trailer?

I'm curious how you all secure your trailer from theft. I want something simple and effective. On my old boat I'd run a chain through the wheels, but I only towed it twice a year.

With the new Z1 I will to towing it everyday I use it. I already know I'll forget to take off the chain someday and wreck my wheels. So.... I was thinking about a padlock through the latch lever as it would work while parked and while hitched to the truck.

Otherwise I'm curious what you've stumbled across that is easy and effective.

I have a lock on the trailer coupler and on the hitch receiver.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
      I have a lock on the trailer coupler and on the hitch receiver.
      x2 - the locks are keyed alike.

http://www.masterlock.com/products/p...DAT&showquiz=0

Comment

ON most of my trailers, I use 2 locks on the trailer coupler - on through the latch and another that fills in the coupler space - and also keep a lock on the receiver. I use the hitch space lock as I have heard of trailers with 2" hitches being hooked up to vehicles with 1-7/8" balls to move/steal. They didn't have the keyed alike set (see link below) when I was purchasing so I essentially use all 3 of the following but not keyed alike.
        http://www.masterlock.com/products/p...etails/3794DAT
        "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Originally posted by mls6722 View Post
          x3

Comment

I made a gate that goes in front of my boat.
            Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

I also have a gate. That's a good reminder though. I need to put a lock on it too.

The coupler latch locks look slick. Do your couplers look like this one on my Boatmate trailer?

Last edited by JohnnieMo; 03-16-2014, 01:18 AM.

Comment

JMo, yes, that I the same as out trailer. I forgot about that. I purchased a lock at our dealer, it slips through where the pin it in your picture and then has a lock that slides over and locks for the coupler. I always use this when trailering, it seems odd, but I don't want to get back to the landing and be missing a trailer. Most the time, our boat is stored inside a locked storage unit we rent, but when in the driveway over night, we use the pin. The coupler filler does not work on this style. I forgot all about that in my previous post, but I do use it on my other 3 trailers. Thanks for the reminder, now I miss our boat even more. Can't wait to get it out of winter storage and see her again
                "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

I use this style
                  http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Tow-Ready/63226KA.html

then I also cable lock it to the poles of my barn.

Comment

As mentioned above a locking pin through the latch, I also have a swing away hitch so I pull the pin on that and then chain and lock it to the side of the trailer. Another effective method is if your are going with someone else with a trailer chain the 2 trailers together. I have been in the situation of having a watercraft trailer stolen. It was not a happy day. Good news it was with PWC's so we just loaded them in the pick up's. A boat is a whole other story.

Comment

Picked this up today at bass pro for $22. I hope it fits! I'll get my snow shoes out and try it.

Comment

www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
                        http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

Working...
                        X