Wheel bearing maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel bearing maintenance

I have a Boatmate trailer and it has the oil filled bearings. What is the maintenance schedule recommended for these? And how is it preformed? How does one get the oil out and what is the recommended oil I should use to top off or re-fill?
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

I've read from other oil bath users it's a 5 year Mx cycle for changing the oil, other than that I don't know.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Wake here is some information from the manual. I have done mine, not too hard to do. When I had my tire incident earlier last year when I was getting parts it was recommended that I switch to the grease kind. I was told all I would need to do it drain the oil, install the new grease cap and then fill it with grease. They said I didn't need to worry about residual oil, it would mix with the grease.

ADDING OIL
      Lubricant is added through the threaded port on the nose of hub. Remove
      fill/drain plug and add Trailer Buddy hub oil. This proprietary blend of 50 wt.
      oil is designed to provide long-term superior lubrication for boat trailer roller
      bearings. Add oil until all the air is forced out and no air bubbles can be seen.
      Use standard 50 wt. motor oil as an alternative. Then reinstall the plug after
      applying Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker to the threads and
      torque to 7 ft pounds.
      CHANGING OIL
      It is recommended that you change the oil in your GOLD system after 20,000
      miles or unless oil becomes a milky color. For additional information contact
      the factory. To drain your oil, remove fill/drain plug on side of hub nose. DO
      NOT remove GOLD wheel bearing protector. Rotate hub so fill/drain plug is at
      the 6 o’clock position and keep there until all oil is drained from hub cavity.
      Rotate hub so fill/drain plug is at the 12 o’clock position and fill hub with oil
      following the “ADDING OIL” instructions listed above.
      BEARING CHECK
      If the bearings need to be adjusted or replaced, you must contact UFP first. We
      will help diagnose the problem and send instructions to assure that the work is
      done correctly. Failure to contact UFP before the work is begun may void the
      warranty.
      Wheel bearings have been precisely torque-set at the factory. To maximize
      bearing life, we suggest you check bearing adjustment at least once a year by
      following this procedure. Jack up one side of the trailer. Grip the edge of the
      tire and see if you can rock or move it. If you can move the outer edge of the
      tire more than 1/8”, your bearings need to be re-adjusted

Comment

Working...
      X