Trailer Guide Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Guide Posts

The guide posts on my Extreme trailer for the RZ2 use 2x4's covered in carpet. On a recent trip, I scratched the gel coat with the top corner of one of the posts (the carpet wore through, and the edge of the wood caused the scratch, I think).

I'm looking into replacing those posts with the ones that have the PVC that spins (which appear to be much more common). Those seem to make more sense, but I've never had them. Are there any downsides to that design over the 2x4/carpet design?

Also, I assume most people cover the PVC with guide post pads (usually foam covered in nylon). Anyone have recommendations on where to get those? I found some online sold by Beyond the Wake and others by Attwood, but it's hard to tell quality by website pics.

Thanks for any input.

Tige also sells the pads.
    http://store.tige.com/products/trailer-guide-covers

Comment

Coop,
      You will need to get an adapter to put a round pipe into the square bracket in the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by zany View Post
        Coop,
        You will need to get an adapter to put a round pipe into the square bracket in the trailer.
        Extreme actually makes the guideposts with the PVC to fit into their square brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
          Thanks, boardman. Anyone have these? I'm particularly interested in the quality of the nylon (in terms of ripping, fading, etc.).

Comment

I have completed my second season with them. I think they are looking pretty good still as far as fading is concerned. Any rough screws in your rub rail are going to cause cuts in the material. That has really been the only drawback that I have noticed with them.

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
              Any rough screws in your rub rail are going to cause cuts in the material. That has really been the only drawback that I have noticed with them.
              Thanks. Will you get those cuts even if the PVC spins freely?

Comment

I did and mine spin pretty easily... I 'll see if I can post up a picture... A cut maybe a poor description of what occurs.

Comment

I'm going on my 4th season with the TIGE pads and they hold up great.. I recommend storing them threw the winter but I've not had much fading.. LOVE THEM

good luck

Comment

Dido. Going on 4th season too. Good luck so far. All that's happened to mine is just a little burning from the rub rail which will happen from time to time. No fading yet.

Originally posted by mikehayburn View Post
                    I'm going on my 4th season with the TIGE pads and they hold up great.. I recommend storing them threw the winter but I've not had much fading.. LOVE THEM

good luck

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looks like I'll be ordering some soon.

Comment

@coop I know it has been two years but I am in need of doing the same swap over that you did. Were you able to get the stuff from Extreme trailers?

Comment

I'll be doing this soon as well. Just pull the 2" square tube out and slide in a 2" round tube (not pipe) and tighten the set screws.

Comment

Originally posted by 25cents View Post
                            @coop I know it has been two years but I am in need of doing the same swap over that you did. Were you able to get the stuff from Extreme trailers?
                            Sorry for the delayed response -- I've been out of town. Yes, Extreme has the spinning, round PVC guides. They have different lengths, and the guides float up when you put the trailer in the water, so the guides should never be below the rub rail. I bought some pads (with the nylon covers) from the Tige site, but you can find them other places on line. I think these are better than the wood/carpet guides.

Comment

I need to do this as well. Did you just call extreme? I know it’s been a while haha

Comment

Working...
                              X