Trailer ride height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer ride height

I have a 2013 Z1. The ride height of the trailer is very low. The two lowest points of the trailer is the prop guard at 2 1/8" and the spare tire mount at 2 1/2"of ground clearance. My dealer doesn't seem too concerned about the height but I am continually scraping. The trailer does have torsion axles so I am thinking about using them to adjust the ride height.

I was just curious if this is the standard or is my trailer just extremely low.

TIA
    Last edited by Galaxy24; 11-05-2013, 04:15 AM.

Call the trailer manufacturer and ask them. I would also ask what the axle load rating is. But, a scraping prop guard is just a reminder of why its there. Is the trailer level when on your hitch?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Are you saying you only have 2 1/4" before the trailer hits the asphalt? That is crazy.

With the trailer almost level mine is about 7". I just measured it. Did you get the base trailer?

I feel like I have to be understanding this wrong as that little clearance makes no sense.

Comment

The trailer I had with my 20 V had 2 and a half inches max Clearance prop guard and spare tire was not an issue because was mounted on the side of thHoee trailer so it had plenty of clearance but the prop guard when the trailer was level only had like a said about 2 1/2 inches of clearance it's not uncommon

Comment

Below is a picture of the prop guard. Trailer sits level when on tow vehicle and the tire pressure is at the recommended pressure.

Chpthril - I verified the axle capacity with the manufacturer and they are within specs.

JohnnieMo - I agree with you it doesn't make sense to me either.

image.jpg
          Last edited by Galaxy24; 11-05-2013, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Having a clearance less than 3" is not uncommon. I think I have less than 2" on mine, I just have to pick a route to travel that compensates for it.

I've heard of guys putting rollers on the prop gaurd. Maybe that is an option for you?

Comment

Looking at the picture it looks like you have plenty of clearance for the prop guard and spare tire based on what I can see. The clearance looks taller than what I had on my 20 V trailer which was a semi custom trailer made by advantage trailers in Mishawaka Indiana. Propped guards usually are only a couple of inches off The ground. With my 20 V trailer the prop guard hit a pothole that was extremely deep and hit hard enough to bend the prop guard up approximately 1 inch on the right side of the trailer. Clearly it did it's job because it protected the prop as well as the driveshaft.

Comment

From what I am hearing the ride height is expected and not unusual. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Okay, we were indeed talking about different measurements. I measured from the very back of the trailer where the rollers are. I will try to grab the other measurement, but my boat is under a pile of snow at the moment. 2" shouldn't be too bad there as it is very close to the rear tires. It still seems lower than necessary however.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by JohnnieMo; 11-05-2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

out of curiousity who MFG'd your trailer. not much clearance for sure. what a type of axels do you have? if not torsion, you could leaf them out heavier to get more clearance? but not sure there is a "standard" for this. just what they feel works.

what is the clearance between your prop and the guard?
                    2011 Tigé RZ4
                    www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

The trailer is manufactured by Extreme. It is on torsion axles. Since it does have torsion axles I think I'm going to rotate a couple splines to increase the ride height.

Comment

Mine is a Boat Mate. Measures 5" at the lowest point. The spare tire mounts on the side so its no worry.

Yours does seem low. If you can adjust, go for it. They may try to keep them low to fit in garages etc.

The plus side is your trailer didn't wreck your prop like all of us Boat Mate owners in 2013.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pic JohnnieMo. We have the same model and year of boat with two totally different designed trailers. Wish I had a Boat Mate trailer. Let me ask you this, how do you launch your boat? Do you put the boat in reverse and drive it off the runners or do you float it off (hit the breaks on the tow vehicle and the boat slides off of the trailer)? Reason why I ask is that if I attempt to float the boat off like I explained above the bow eye on my boat will strike the trailer because the front/bow support on the trailer is so high. Just curious on your method and wonder if you have a similar problem as I do.

Comment

Extreme has the axel above the cross bar, this lets the trailer sit lower so you don’t have to back as far into the water to lunch the boat. Some trailers have it above. This give you more clearance, but you need to back the truck much further into the water and have a better change of slipping (loss of traction)
                            This is what I was told when I got my boat which is on an Extreme trailer. I have never had any issue other them very steep driveways. You can lower your hitch to raise the back of the trailer, but this will cause your trailer brakes to drag if you lower it to much.
                            Attached Files
                            Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

I've only ever launched this boat twice, as I just got it. However I typically have to do all the driving so I will back it in part way and use the boat motor to pull the boat into the water. I don't think I would want to float it off. With my I/O boat I would just let it drift off, but usually with someone behind the wheel.

However I may want to reconsider since my prop is impacting the prop guard. Not sure if this is happening during loading or unloading. Powering off may have something to do with it.

Here is a picture of my rear axle. Similar but different. I'm not entirely sure the voodoo on how these torsion axles work, so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X