Trailer Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Maintenance

I am winterizing everything and just wonder about the trailer?? Anything other that monitoring the bearing buddies to make sure the bearings are full??? Should a guy be doing anything else to the trailer??
    My trailer is a DLM twin axle trailer with surge breaks.

thanks!!

- Visually inspect the fluid in the master cylinder to make sure there is no water and/or contaniments in the fluid.

- Look at the brake pads and make sure they have some pad life in them.

- Look at the tires and determine the date they were manufactured, if they are more than 6 years old you should consider replacing them.

- Bearing Buddy says if the pressure is good in the bearings you only need to remove, inspect and repack bearings every 5 years, I do it a little more often than that, 2 years for me.

- Look at the wood on the bunks for rott and make plans for replacing it if required.

- Look for rust on the frame, specifically in the welds. Remove the rust and cover the bare spots with rustoleum to prevent further rust.

This is what I look at on a trailer. My boat is a 2009 but my original tires were manufactured in 2007 so I replaced mine this spring. I ordered Load Class D tires from TireRack.com but they sent me tires that were 23 months old. I sent them back for a fresh set and learned if you want the freshest set they have you should specify that when you make your order.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Consider replacing your winch strap every few years, especially if it is stored in the sun. Same goes for your safety straps. I also check the function of the trailer coupling -- if you drop down on the ball too far back, the mechanism can get finicky. Of course, check all your lights. In addition to rotting wood on the bunks, check the carpet while the boat is off.

x2 re tire date. I replace mine at 5 years from manufacture date. If you store the trailer outside, maybe earlier.

Comment

Come winter, I always put the trailer axles on blocks to save the weight on the tires. This also allows you to rotate the wheels every month to keep the bearing grease/oil nicely distributed.
        I always pulled the wheels and hubs apart and regreased everything before the trailer sits for a while. Last time I didn't do that, one bearing had a bit of pitting on the race & a few rollers, I must have had just a bit of water still mixed in the hub.

I wouldn't replace tires till spring, but check and put it on your list.

Comment

Working...
        X