2011 Boatmate Trailer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 Boatmate Trailer Help

My RZR sits on a tandem axel boatmate trailer. I am looking at taking off the swing away tongue (has to be done if I'm going to get it in my garage). After I swing it away I still need like an inch/ inch and a half to shut the door. By looking at the pictures can you guys tell me if I have electric or hydraulic brakes. Looking at disconnecting the lines obviously and if they are hydraulic I'm not messing with it.

Thanks!

I had mine apart to replace that solenoid that you see with the blue wire going to it. That is the solenoid that bypasses the brakes when you put it in reverse, as far as I could tell while in there that is the only electronic mechanism to the brakes. You can disconnect the hoses but you will probly need to bleed the system in the spring when you put it back together.Actually now that I think of it there are 2 pins on the side that u can take the snap rings off and pull the whole tongue through the back of the swing away portion and you shouldn't have to disconnect the lines. Just don't lose the black plastic spacers that go on each side of the master cylinder.

Comment

Couldn't you just disconnect the bolt and leave the lines hanging underneath? Should spare you a couple inches without needed to disconnect all the lines.

Comment

Or do what johnniemo said lol

Comment

You could use the safety chains or wood blocks to "fold" the tongue underneath and not have to disconnect the hydro lines like Johnny says above.
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

your brakes are hydraulic surge w/electric reverse lock out
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What Mike said^^.. Not Many boat trailers with electric brakes. Electric and water...bad!!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  your brakes are hydraulic surge w/electric reverse lock out
                  Could you explain this further? I have no idea how these things work. My understanding is that surge brakes work from momentum. How is this trailer different? Does it still use a brake controller?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                    Could you explain this further? I have no idea how these things work. My understanding is that surge brakes work from momentum. How is this trailer different? Does it still use a brake controller?
                    The electric reverse lock out is a solenoid valve that is turned on when the tow vehicles is placed in reverse. It prevents the surge piston pressure, created when the tow vehicle's tow ball pushes against surge actuator, when the rig is backing up. This prevents the trailer brakes from engaging. Some base level trailers do not have the electric reverse lock out, and require a "key" to be inserted to prevent the actuator from compressing the piston and applying the trailer brakes when in reverse.

Electric reverse lock out will have a 5 wire trailer harness.
                    mechanical reverse lock out will be the traditional 4 wire harness.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by bobbybrooks23 View Post
                      My RZR sits on a tandem axel boatmate trailer. I am looking at taking off the swing away tongue (has to be done if I'm going to get it in my garage). After I swing it away I still need like an inch/ inch and a half to shut the door. By looking at the pictures can you guys tell me if I have electric or hydraulic brakes. Looking at disconnecting the lines obviously and if they are hydraulic I'm not messing with it.

Thanks!

what about swapping the pivot bolt and pin so the tongue swings the other way? Would this get you the clearance needed? I know its a stretch

Comment

You can get hydraulic quick disconnect installed by a trail shop?
                        Something like this
                        http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeroquip/023/F...FYU5QgodbxcAMA

Comment

I've been researching weight distribution hitches for my Tundra. I've read that they shouldn't be used on surge break trailers. Is this true and can anyone shed some light on this.

Comment

I could see that,because the load bars are attached to the trailer and to the hitch( i used to have a few travel trailers and had weight distribution hitches) the load bars are not retractable in essence like the tongue is to put push the surge brakes, push the oil through the lines to apply the brakes. Since the load bars are solid would they would not let that happen. I am pretty sure you need electric brakes for the weight distribution hitch. Someone will chime in aswell. Could you just put airbags in the back on the tundra, I can't see why you need more than that with your truck.

Comment

The truck does fine with the rzr for sure. At some point we are going to upgrade to something bigger boat wise. I was at the truck dealer getting the oil changed and was talking towing and was told that my 9000 lbs max towing is only 5000 without wdh. So from a liability standpoint I wanted to get one but sounds like a no go maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X