Running/bunk boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running/bunk boards

Looking to replace my running boards what kind of wood are y'all using?

If you talking the bunk boards, most people use green treated 2x6's. I reuse the carpet if its OK other wise you can get indoor/outdoor stuff most of the time the same place you get the lumber. Lowes, home depot, Menards, etc.

Comment

Just regular treated 2x4s or 2x6s. The composite deck boards are not strong enough.

Comment

Center cut cypress 3" thick, or marine grade PT.

Don't buy lumber from box stores.

Comment

Originally posted by shaneorando View Post
          Looking to replace my running boards what kind of wood are y'all using?
          Not in regards to wood but i have always hated the simple screw attachment that they use to put them on.

When i replaced mine i bought galvanized bolts and lock washers and nuts and lock nuts. I pre drilled all wood and counter sunk the bolts below the running surface of wood that boat would touch then covered in brand new carpet for marine trailer bunks and left slight drainage ports in carpet to allow the water to flow out and then layed on top of the bunk supports and bolted them to the trailer. I did this 2 summers ago and use the boat traier in and out of the water each day at the lake and i go at least 70 days a year and put boat in water from trailer and this has been the absolute best thing ive done since there is no worry about a bunk falling off. I Will probably need new carpet after 2 more seasons, but will definitely stick with the bolt on method rather than just screws.

Just my

Comment

Working...
          X