Trailer Tire Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Tire Help?

I am going to take the tire to a shop to look at but I thought I would see if anyone knew what was going on with on of my tires:

Tire was bought last 6 months ago (Jan 2013), I did not verify the date code on the tire yet. Carlyle Radials 215/75/14 on a Dorsey Trailer if that helps.

There is a small ring of rubber right where the tire touches the rim (pics below). Any thoughts?

Additional info:
    I drove about 240 miles to Cottonwood Cove in the middle of the night. When I got there is when I noticed the rubber on the tire.

On the same axle, I had a bearing buddy bra pop off and grease go everywhere due to over greasing on both sides of my rear axle. After speaking with Bearing Buddy, when the grease comes out the front and onto the rim/tire, you are fine and the bearing buddy is fine. If it blows out the inside of the tire, you have blow the rear seal. I did replace the "bra" before putting the trailer in the water to launch.

The only other aspect that may be relevant is that I need to enter my driveway at a sharp angle to avoid scraping the trailer on the driveway. This tire is the inside tire (inside of the turn) that gets the stress the most of that angle bringing it in and out when I make the sharp turn.

IMAG0589.jpgIMAG0588.jpg

Additional advice- Should I replace the bearings on the rear axle? On a trailer from 2004 with some minor rust marks on the exterior of the trailer, should I replace all the bearings just to be on the safe side?

Thanks for any advice!

Steve
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Looks like rubber that didn't get trimmed all the way when it popped out of the mold, was it always that way or you just noticed it cleaning up the grease? That extra flex on the tire is not good,but if you make sure the trailer gets some straight backing before you leave it it should be ok. IDK about replacing bearings, you should probably get them repacked and inspected so you know what's going on in there but I bet they are ok. After you get them inspected, replaced as necessary, greased and installed you should be good for 5 years.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Thanks Ewok. I don't remember it being that bad but I couldn't be 100% on it. The other tires have a much smaller lip that I would not have noticed without looking. Tire pressure seems ok also.
      Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I get the flex in my tires pretty bad. Steep-ish driveway and I really have to crank it to get the boat where it needs to sit. I always grab the hydraulic jack and lift each tire individually so they sit nice and flat with no flex.

I agree with Ewok. That extra rubber looks like it didn't get cut off when it popped out of the mold. It's nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Pow-Wake View Post
          I always grab the hydraulic jack and lift each tire individually so they sit nice and flat with no flex.
          Great tip. Thanks.

Comment

Got some info on the tire. When the grease got on the small rubber molding where it was trimmed, it will suck up some of the grease and expand. Also if you feel around the tire where grease got on the tire, it also was slightly different as it absorbed some of the grease (noticeable to the touch but minimal).

Comment

Working...
            X