Tire inflation guidance from goodyear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire inflation guidance from goodyear

I was browsing for some new tires and came across this Product service bullitin from Goodyear. The gist of the article is that with the marathon tire, if you exceed 65 mph you need to increase cold inflation pressure by 10 psi. It does not increase the load rating of the tire, just allows the tire to be pulled at 75 mph. Here is the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...plications.pdf
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

That's strange because I thought the consensus was to run the tires at their maximum pressure? If you did that, you couldn't add another 10 #'s
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Thats kinda interesting, thanks for posting it.

Comment

I thought the consensus was to fill the tires to maximum air pressure? You couldn't add 10 more pounds if it's already full?

Comment

I found the Kumho Radial 857 on Tirerack and it's a load class D. There are a few reviews on Tirerack for this tire but I was wondering if anyone has any experience or heard anything about them. The tires on my trailer now are 6 years old Carlile ST205/75R14.

Comment

How do you have 6 year old tires on an '09, is the trailer older than the boat, or were the tires manufactured two years before they were installed? Just asking because I've heard people talk about making sure you look at the manufacture date code when you buy tires to make sure you're not getting old tires.

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
            I found the Kumho Radial 857 on Tirerack and it's a load class D. There are a few reviews on Tirerack for this tire but I was wondering if anyone has any experience or heard anything about them. The tires on my trailer now are 6 years old Carlile ST205/75R14.
            2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

I have the Kumho tires

Comment

Yup, tires must have been sitting around somewhere before they found the trailer. You need to watch out for that with passenger car tires too. Our local news station did a story last year and looked at the dates of tires on the rack at sears, les schwab, and discount tire and found sears had some 3 yo tires on the rack they were trying to sell to customers. The other stores had tires more than a year old on the racks for sale as well.

Comment

I have a set of Kumho tires I installed last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                    Yup, tires must have been sitting around somewhere before they found the trailer. You need to watch out for that with passenger car tires too. Our local news station did a story last year and looked at the dates of tires on the rack at sears, les schwab, and discount tire and found sears had some 3 yo tires on the rack they were trying to sell to customers. The other stores had tires more than a year old on the racks for sale as well.
                    A local tire dealer pitched a fit when I would not buy their 2 year old "new" Marathons last season. I said fine, ordered them from Tire Rack, and had them drop shipped to another installer.

And I too run my trailer at max pressure. I have not seen a lower "recommended" tire pressure tailored to the trailer and baot weight (as there is for a car/truck on inner door sticker).
                    Last edited by Duncan; 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Sorry for all of the double posts. I was having a problem with my posts not showing up after I replied. As you can see Matt fixed it and they are now working.
                      I thought there was a thread on these tires before. I'll see if I can find it?

Comment

Just placed the order on tire rack for the kuhmos. Turns out they are euro-metric size, so they had a 205/14R with no sidewall measurement. The euro-metric size has a sidewall height of 82, so I had to go from my 205/75R14 Carlie to the 195/14R for the Kuhmos. They are D load rated so a little stronger then the previous tire, which is good since the next time I move I'll have the boat loaded with some irreplaceable things. And the kuhmos are rated for 90+ mph @65psi. I'll let y'all know how they tow when they come in.

Comment

Great choice! I like the extra margin of safety. I think it was worth the extra money. I didn't notice any ride or pull difference.
                          That old thread must have gotten lost in the site rebuild? I have some pictures of them.

Comment

Here are the pictures I took at the tire shop before installation.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks good, how was your fender clearence since they have a taller sidewall?

Comment

Working...
                              X