trailer mfg with new boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trailer mfg with new boat?

so who decides what trailer gets paired with a boat.. do they come with them from the factory with a Tige .. or does local dealer have one waiting.. curious with tige how that is setup.. i see various mfg of trailers with tige boats?
    2011 Tigé RZ4
    www.re-viveupholstery.com

I think it depends on where the boat will be sold and how much the shipping will cost with a boat/trailer vs boat alone. I bought my boat in Fort Worth, TX, very close to the factory and it came with a Road Runner trailer which is make in Lewisville, TX, very close to Fort Worth as well. I've seen quite a few boats being delivered around TX on RR trailers with large pickups pulling 2 trailers at the same time. I guess if you wanted a different trailer the dealer can order one from the other major trailer builder, Boatmate, but I'm not sure where they are built. From what I've read and experienced myself, Boatmate is a better trailer than Road Runner.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

You buy them separate and pick what you want. IIRC boatmate was going to be the main one for Tige's, this started a year or two ago, but not the only or mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
        You buy them separate and pick what you want. IIRC boatmate was going to be the main one for Tige's, this started a year or two ago, but not the only or mandatory.
        did not pick mine... as many have not... so looking for clarification of how it worked.
        2011 Tigé RZ4

Comment

The factory will sell a boat and trailer combo or just the boat. as an example, Dealer wants to order 5 new inventory boats. Lets say an 18 wheeler can hold 5 boats without trailers, or 4 boats with trailers. If the shipping on the 5 boats from Texas is $2,000 to their location it may be cheaper to then order 5 trailers from a trailer manufacturer of choice and have them shipped in seperate. That way the dealer isnt paying $2,000 for a shipment of 4 boats w/ trailers plus an additional shipping cost for the 5th boat w/ trailer that wouldnt fit on the 18 wheeler. It can also depend on how the dealer finances their inventory, how their bank will loan money, how much of a hassle it is to order boats without trailers or vice versa, how much money is to be saved or made on the extra effort or even what brand trailer the customer wants? The scenario goes on forever....

Comment

Originally posted by brett22i View Post
            The factory will sell a boat and trailer combo or just the boat. as an example, Dealer wants to order 5 new inventory boats. Lets say an 18 wheeler can hold 5 boats without trailers, or 4 boats with trailers. If the shipping on the 5 boats from Texas is $2,000 to their location it may be cheaper to then order 5 trailers from a trailer manufacturer of choice and have them shipped in seperate. That way the dealer isnt paying $2,000 for a shipment of 4 boats w/ trailers plus an additional shipping cost for the 5th boat w/ trailer that wouldnt fit on the 18 wheeler. It can also depend on how the dealer finances their inventory, how their bank will loan money, how much of a hassle it is to order boats without trailers or vice versa, how much money is to be saved or made on the extra effort or even what brand trailer the customer wants? The scenario goes on forever....
            thanks for the post.. I just was not sure what dictated it.. I figured cost? But was not sure how it was decided. given the reviews of different trailer mfg's are all over the map.
            2011 Tigé RZ4

Comment

mine came from idaho falls on a metalcraft trailer which is in your neck of the woods.. it's a decent trailer, but I wish I could have spec'ed it out..
              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

If its still the case, as it was a few years ago, Tige builds boats and buys trailers if one is ordered by a dealer as a package. In most cases, the dealers have a trailer manufacture that they deal directly with. When they order a boat that will need a trailer, they place an order for the trailer with the trailer manufacturer. If things work out, the trailer will get built and delivered ahead of the boat. Dealers also like to order a few boats and trailers at the same time. This cuts down on the transportation costs. It doesnt cost much more to deliver 2 or 3 boats/trailers on a flatbed, then it does to deliver just one. The dealer can now spread that total cost across multiple boats, as opposed to eating it or passing it along to just one customer in terms of a markup.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Most of the trailers I see are spec'd for profit and not quality. Most Tige's come with Boatmate trailers but can't understand why people consider it a quality trailer.

It's still a "tube" style frame. They use run-of-the-mill hardware, hubs and brakes.

They use a low grade enamel that looks really really good when new.

They don't (that I know of) use a zinc based primer, or any primer IMO that I know of.

They don't solder their wire connections and seal them in shrink wrap tubing.

I just don't see the value but I do see the profit margin.

When someone says a Boatmate trailer is quality, the question I have to ask is what are they comparing it to??

Our first trailer was a Boatmate. Lots of bling but since we go in salt water occasionally.....we had to go aluminum.

We bought a Rolls Axle http://www.rollsaxle.com/ 4 summers ago. It cost us $7500 at the time. Today it's $8500. (maybe more). It's use was for an RZ4 so it was a considerably large trailer.

All I can say 4 years later is... I'm damn glad we spent the 2 extra K.

We have Kodiak stainless hubs, rotors and pads. http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/

The Rolls Axle is extremely unique in design. Nothing compares to it. Without a question, it's made for salt and will last forever.

That's my 2 cents.
                  Last edited by Nobody; 03-28-2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

well I for one love boatmate... so to each his own man. I dont think I was out to bash anyone mfg... it was more, what dictates what in terms of pairing and how the business works...

I think you cannot help yourself man, its like i dont like apples.. but I dont go telling people the apples they like or eat suck?

maybe if you did not live near the ocean or require stainless this or that.. it would not be such a big issue for you.
                    2011 Tigé RZ4

Comment

Ignore him G. I know its absurd but, so is he.

My boat came out of the Bay Area, California and that dealer used SportBoat as their trailer supplier. I'm pretty sure they were manufactured in California so shipping would have been much cheaper.

FWIW, it has been a great trailer.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by gcombe74 View Post
                        well I for one love boatmate... so to each his own man. I dont think I was out to bash anyone mfg... it was more, what dictates what in terms of pairing and how the business works...

I think you cannot help yourself man, its like i dont like apples.. but I dont go telling people the apples they like or eat suck?

maybe if you did not live near the ocean or require stainless this or that.. it would not be such a big issue for you.
                        GREAT! I'm glad you liked my reply. Have a good day, the day after you get a life. Then take your apple theology and go write a book about it.

The BOTTOM LINE to this matter is BOATMATE is OVER PRICED for what you get, regardless if you live near salt.
                        Last edited by Nobody; 04-01-2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Nobody also thinks Obama is a top quality leader, need I say anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I can compare Boatmate and Extreme to RoadRunner and if I had a choice, I would go with Boatmate or extreme over RoadRunner, but if another company is out there and better quality at the same cost, I would always go with better quality. Of course cost is a huge factor and I have already budgeted for and am saving for a new trailer in about five year from now. My last boat was galvanized steel boxed frame with drain holes and its still in great shape, no rust at all, and it was built in 1993 by EZloader for a Bayliner. It's not as pretty as the custom matched colors with custom wheels but its still going strong for the current owner.
                            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by dom w. forte View Post
                              Nobody also thinks Obama is a top quality leader, need I say anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Two things I know for sure about you Dom is you LOVE to banter politics and sell Boatmate Trailers.

But if a client came to Fortes to buy a boat (plus Boatmate trailer) and was an Obama lovin liberal, do you at least play the game and pretend to like Obama??

Just curious of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X