trailer bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trailer bearings

I have a 1997 DHM trailer, tandem axle, for my 1997 2150 WT. I have gone through two sets of bearings. Blown!... grease everywhere. Is this unusual? It sits level. I've replaced them with fairly standard equipment and it's ok so far. I've had the boat and trailer for one year now. Just seems odd. I grease the bearings about every other time I take it out. I had a Sea Ray for six years and never had a single problem with the trailer.

Thoughts?

df
    DF
    Lead Singer & Driver of the Chesterfield Chubby.

That's definitely not right. I've only replaced my bearings once and that was last year. They hadn't blown but, I felt there was a chance because the nitwit at a new to me marina had my trailer submerged for ~15min. I did it as a precautionary measure when I got back to town. Sure enough, there was water in there.

How many bearings blew? The way its worded, it sounds like all of them. Perhaps you have a leak somewhere.

Hang tight, there are some smart people on here that should be able to help.

We also need some pics of your boat. "The Chesterfield Chubby"? Awesome name.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Welcome to the family. I can see this is your first post. We would love some photos when you get a chance.

I have the same boat as you, but a different trailer. Mine is made by Extreme and uses Bearing Buddies. Do you have those?
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I assume since you say you grease them you have the bearing buddies? You could be causing your own failure. The proper way to use bearing buddies is to fill them, which compresses the springs and thats it. Once the grease wears the spring pushes grease into the bearings. If you are greasing ever other time you are putting too much grease in the bearing housing which is blowing out the rear seal allowing water to get in, grease to blow out, and thus killing your bearings. A normal bearing especially with bearing buddies might need grease 1-2 times a season max.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger761 View Post
          I assume since you say you grease them you have the bearing buddies? You could be causing your own failure. The proper way to use bearing buddies is to fill them, which compresses the springs and thats it. Once the grease wears the spring pushes grease into the bearings. If you are greasing ever other time you are putting too much grease in the bearing housing which is blowing out the rear seal allowing water to get in, grease to blow out, and thus killing your bearings. A normal bearing especially with bearing buddies might need grease 1-2 times a season max.
          Excellent post. That sounds about dead on.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Thanks!

Its amazing how long bearings can last. We've had flat bed trailer with bearings that are 10-15yrs plus with little to no maintenance with standard dust caps.

Bearing and seal brand makes huge difference as well, only run Timken if at all possible or National, cant beat USA on that stuff
            Last edited by Ruger761; 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I agree, sounds like you put too much grease in and blew out rear seals. This is from the bearing buddies website:

3. With Bearing Buddy® installed, how often do I need to repack my bearings?
              We don't recommend inspecting your bearings more frequently than once every 5 years, provided you properly maintain the grease level in the hubs, and your bearings and seals are in new condition when you install genuine Bearing Buddy®. The Bearing Buddy® system maintains a constant pressure of 3 p.s.i. on the grease inside the hub. Since the hub is always full of grease (with proper maintenance) there is no need to repack your bearings. Some customers have reported that their Bearing Buddy® units were removed for the first time after 10 to 15 years of use, and the bearings still looked like new.
              2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
              2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Thanks guys, good information. In response: two bearings have "blown", both on the front axle with the breaks; I do have buddies on it; since I've replaced them... OK so far. I'll be more conservative with my greasing policy and just keep and eye on them.

I'll try to russle up some photos.

thanks!!
                DF
                DF

Comment

I meant: brakes not breaks!
                  DF

Comment

If they blew on the axles with the brakes you could have 2 problems, overpressureizing the grease with a grease gun and some heating up from the brakes could be causing the seals to blow. Talltigeguy on here had some issues with tires overheating and he went through some trouble to keep the heat down on his tires, I'm sure he'll chime in here shortly.
                    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Working...
                    X