Trailer bunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer bunks

My list of to-dos is getting bigger on things I need to do this year after the boat gets out of storage. Prior to putting the boat away, I noticed the lag bolts at the rear of the bunks were loose. Went to tighten them up and noticed the wood in the bunk was rotten. (The trailer is 12 years old.) So I figure it is time to replace the bunks. I am assuming this is just a marine grade wood wrapped in a marine grade carpet? Where is a good location to find the carpet?

Thanks,

West Marine, Bass Pro Shops, etc..

I used treated redwood. There are many threads / posts about which wood and staples to use.

Comment

Great, I'll keep searching for more info.
      Thanks,

Comment

I did them on our fist boat. Trailer was probably about 10 years old when I did them. I used treated lumber from Lowes, trailer bunk carpet ( 12" wide x X ft), outdoor carpet glue and stainless steel staples and all new mounting hardware.

If at all possible, I would look into thru-bolting the bunks back on as opposed to using galvanized lag bolts. This will last longer as the bolt is holding the bunk on rather then the threads of the lag screw. Those holes will waller out over time
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The only thing with thru bolts is if they come loose and cause damage to the hull. My parents ended up with a hole in their waverunner from them and had no idea.

Comment

Have a look at snaptraxx.com. I put these on my boat about 80 hors ago. They allow the wood and the hull dry properly and loading and unloading is effortless. Doesn't mark te hull and keeps the boat snug and in position once loaded. A little dearer than carpet, but the pros outweigh the cons and are well worth it.

Comment

Never seen or heard of those before. Interesting. Here's a link.
              http://www.snaptraxx.com/index.php?pr=Home
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

interesting, but kinda pricey compared to plain old carpet.
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                  interesting,
                  x2

Comment

Overton's has some bunk carpet and has free shipping.
                    http://search.overtons.com/?D=bunk+c...tt=bunk+carpet
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I thought the cost was quite reasonable considering my boat was around 100k. $500 to have the boat not sitting on wet carpet blistering the gel coat and scratching the chine off every time I loaded and unloaded was reasonable.

Comment

Blistering from carpet?? Not going to happen. Have owned two boats for 14 years now - never happened. I replaced all the bunks and guides using stainless bolts, stainless staples and treated wood and carpet from West Marine for bunks and did it all for about 150 bucks. They look great and should last another 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                        X