09 Z1 on a Boatmate = no trailer brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

09 Z1 on a Boatmate = no trailer brakes

My trailer brakes have faded out over the last summer. I regularly check fluid and keep it full. I put in an occasional few drops here and there, never noticed a significant leak anywhere. This past summer, I never made any long trips. I do though go up and down the street now and then to make sure trailer brakes are working and to use them. Normal tow is about 1500' from storage to ramp at my marina. I want the trailer brakes to work because I hate when things don't work, it is safer, and I plan on making a few longer road trips next summer.

I found this manual:
    http://www.expediter.com/pdf%20folde...20Actuator.pdf

I bleed the brakes, however when pumping the mastercylinder, there is no fluid coming out the bleeder valves, yes I open one at a time. I am not sure if the calipers are locked up or the mastercylinder is not working. Any thoughts? I guess the next thing is to take calipers apart and see if they are siezed.
    Friends don't let friends POWERTURN

Item # 27 is a solenoid value for when you are backing up.
    If this value is stuck open, you will not get any pressure to the brakes.
    Makes sure you are not getting any flow through item #28 (reverse valve drain)
    Hope this helps
    DW
    Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

I had the same issue, PM me your email and I will send you the Bleeding procedure I got straight from Trailer Buddy
      "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

lwndr - PM sent - thank you

whitlock87 - if the solenoid is stuck "open" that may make perfect sense. I am looking at the parts list on page 28 of the manual and trying to understand how it comes a part. Is there a way to disengage this for troubleshooting purposes?

It is kind of a PITA for me because I keep my boat at storage 45 min from the house and there is no power there in my unit. I have to load up whatever tools I think I may need then work on it there. I can't walk outside in the garage and look at it.

Looks like page 21 describes how to take the mechanism a part, I guess that may be next to check the solenoid.
        Last edited by Dave S; 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

http://www.ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx

good vids here explaining how it works

Comment

Well, I know why my brakes don't work. Went to bleed brakes and found out the line inside the trailer frame rusted and broke in half. I ordered new lines for inside the frame for now. I thought about stainless lines but then they may last longer then the trailer. Sucks that the trailer rusts from the inside out and I am guessing when it will fail.

Comment

I put a new brake line in over the weekend from tongue to splitter at axle, bled the new line, flushed the old brake fluid and all is good again!

Comment

Do you dip your trailer in brackish or salt water? Seems like 09 brake lines should last a little longer. Thanks for the info, I'll take a good look at my lines before my first trip.
                2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Working...
                X