21v vs. 21i Trailer Compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21v vs. 21i Trailer Compatibility?

A friend of mine recently purchased a '00 21i and will be keeping his boat on the water at his home. I do the same but do not have a trailer for my '99 21v. Thinking about possibly adding a ballast system, and wanting to take the boat up north to buddies cabins next season - my buddy said I could borrow his trailer.

My question is will my boat be able to fit on his tandem axel trailer? His hull appears to be a bit different and I know the beam is about 6" wider on my rig. Any shot this could work?

I would think the axle location would be to far forward. The axles are generally centered for the weight of the boat on the trailer. Farther forward for the direct drive and farther back for the v drive.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

The main thing is that the bunk boards hit correctly on your hull. Measure the width of you bunk boards on your lift, then measure the trailer. This will give you some idea of how its going to hit. If the axles are a little futher forward it will make the tongue weight light, which can cause the trailer to fishtail around. Something you will will just have to watch out for. If it seems to be light on the tongue put more weight/gear/ice chest in the bow of the boat to compensate.

Comment

TA is right on with the the axles and the tongue weight. This would be the most important thing in regards to it being safe to tow. Your tongue weight should be around 10% of your gross towing weight. 5000 pounds of boat and trailer and gear needs 500 pounds of tongue weight. It's been a while since I checked mine but, it was 565 if I remember correctly. In twelve years of always towing to the lake, its always towed as strait as an arrow. Even under extreme braking it stays right in the trucks tire tracks. If it has a moveable winch stand, you may be able to gain some tongue weight by moving it forward. You could always throw an appropriate size fat sac in the bow walkway.

The bunks are another important issue. Check to see if they are adjustable (doubtful). I've seen bunks shimmed out to fit a different boat. Not a particular fan of it but, it might be an option. The problem here is, your trying to put a flatbottom on a V hull trailer. That's a big shim on the center bunks. You'll also have to change the angle of all the bunks. If the strakes don't line up, you'll have to move them in or out. You'll probably need new hardware for at least a couple bunks.

The bow eye needs to connect to the winch strap under the bow roller.

If you're gonna do it, you really should take the trailer to a trailer shop and see if they are willing to do it right.
        Last edited by NICKYPOO; 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
        X