Bent Axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bent Axle?

drove on a 600 mile trip this past weekend and noticed that the front wheels on my trailer were slightly crooked. the inside of the tire contacts the ground but not the outter lip of the tire. it did not create any towing problems that i noticed, but it has worn down the inside edge of the tire and not the outter edge. what might have caused this to happen?

had this happen when I "dinged" the tires going around a corner too closely and the axles then flexed letting the tires ride on inside and wearing down. At least thats what the dealer explained. Had the axles replaced. Was also a real heavy boat which made it worse. Hiway miles might contribute too since the wheels are really spinning when going 60-70+ mph. others will chime in.

Comment

i agree about the tire wear, i just want to solve the problem not just have to replace tires all too often. to my best recollection i have never "dinged" a curb and nothing else that i could think of that would cause this.

Comment

I have had lots of trailer problems with Roadrunner trailer (i have a 2011 RZ2). After dealing with the manufacture i have come to the conclusion my trailer is not strong enough for the weight. My Roadrunner trailer has 3,500lbs axles, thats a total of 7,000lbs. I have never put my boat/trailer on scales but i have a feeling when loaded down for a long weekend im towing that much weight. So if your trailer is maxed out and you bump a curb something is going to give or bend. Tige builds heavy boats, and they need to start building there own trailers to carry them.
        Im taking my trailer back to Roadrunner for the 3rd time to get it re-wired, fix a sticking caliper, and fix some bad welds. Oh and i have already pulled one axle out my self and had the re-stub one end from a bad bearing. What brand of trailer are you running?

Comment

Boatmate, one of the upgraded custom trailers. Its very nice and looks great and well built, but this is the only problem i have had in three years with it.

Comment

Originally posted by What she said View Post
            I have had lots of trailer problems with Roadrunner trailer (i have a 2011 RZ2). After dealing with the manufacture i have come to the conclusion my trailer is not strong enough for the weight. My Roadrunner trailer has 3,500lbs axles, thats a total of 7,000lbs. I have never put my boat/trailer on scales but i have a feeling when loaded down for a long weekend im towing that much weight. So if your trailer is maxed out and you bump a curb something is going to give or bend. Tige builds heavy boats, and they need to start building there own trailers to carry them.
            Im taking my trailer back to Roadrunner for the 3rd time to get it re-wired, fix a sticking caliper, and fix some bad welds. Oh and i have already pulled one axle out my self and had the re-stub one end from a bad bearing. What brand of trailer are you running?
            I am not "enthusiastic" about my RR trailer either, but it made the trip from TX to WA. I did weigh it on the scales and it came in just under 7K lbs. I also did a little mod to the trailer bunk supports:

They looked like this:

And I had a welder add on these:

2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

both front tires got worn or just one?

Comment

just one tire wearing abnormally.

Comment

Cut it off you only need 3 tires anyways right?

Comment

Sounds like you might have a bent torsion arm/spindle. it does not take much to bend one . pot hole or just dropping a wheel of the edge of the roadway is all it takes.

Comment

Ewok, i had RR already add support to bunker supports.. Lol. I just dropped my 1 year old trailer off to them for the 3rd time.

1. Rewire the hole trailer without scotch locks, and with out riveted grounds.
                      2. Fix broken weld at bottom of bow stop.
                      3. Recarpet broken bunker that i had to do but used gray carpet, cause thats all Home depot had.
                      4. Fix wheel bearing/caliper problem.

Im not sure how much of this they will warranty, and if they dont warranty it i will just do it my self. cause a really have no reason to trust there work! AT ALL. I feel better now that everone know ROADRUNNER TRAILERS ARE JUNK!

Comment

Bad trailer weld, fixed trailer weld, and bunk supports that where added.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks good. When i brought my boat in for 25 hour service i had to get the bunks re-carpeted and the wireing and hydro lines for the brakes redone since fhey were too short and i couldnt fold the tongue. My next project with the trailer, probably next spring, is to leave the boat in the water at a friends house and have the trailer inspected for bad welds, fix them, then I'll have the trailer re-painted with line-x.

Comment

Ewok, do you think the money spent on the Line-x is worth it? I always thought that trailer rust from the inside out?
                            My Dad, and Brother bass fish losts of bass tournaments, and there trailers have lots of highway miles on them, and they dont have any problems with there trailers... one is a 2003 Triton 21', and the other is a 2004 Ranger 21' 9". I know these boats dont weight as much as a wake boat, but there boats are in and out of the water 2-3 times as much as mine, and probably 4-5 time as many miles as mine every year, and neither of them have done anything other than bearing mantenance every few years. Thats just well built trailers. They have fiberglass fender (that dont rust, and they probably use treated lumber for the bunks (Roadrunner does NOT), oh and they prob have the same axle's i do (7000K lbs total) and only carry 4k-5klbs loaded down with gear and 60gallons of gas.
                            Ps i hope RR Trailer goes out of business, and i hope nobody hear ever has to deal the DA Kent that works there! Im almost to the point of wanting to sell my boat cause of all the trailer problems!
                            Any body want a custom RR TRAILER??
                            Attached Files

Comment

My last trailer was galvanized and it's almost as good as it was 19 year ago when we bought it. I'm just afraid this trailer is not going to last and I was thinking about ways to make it last. I guess LineX on the outside won't protect the inside, I'll just have to save up for a new trailer in a few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X