brakes locked up today Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brakes locked up today Need help

l bought boat yesterday from Arkansas. Drove back everything great. On the way up to lake everything was fine as well, put boat in water and parked truck. Came back to truck to load the boat and trailer brakes were locked up both in reverse and drive. Messed with connections ie. cleaned them and looked for anything weird. Didnt really find anything so last resort I unbolted the brake lines from caliper on all four wheels so I could make it home. Anyone have any advice or experience on what it could be? Boat is a 09 Z1 and trailer is a 09 as well. thanks

What is the make of the trailer?

Comment

Congrats on your new boat. Post some pics of it.

Comment

First let me say I am not very mechanical. I had the same problem last year, turn out to be what I believe my mechanic said was a rusted piston tha opens and closes the calibers. Remember my mechanical disclaimer, so I may not have the right terminology .

Comment

Is the trailer plug a 4 or 5 wire? Most trailers have a coupler pin that slides back and forth in a slot in the trailer frame. If the coupler is stuck, that pin will be at the rear of the slot, holding the brakes applied. This slot is also used to manually lock out the brakes. There should be a key that can be placed in the slot which prevents the brakes from actuating in reverse.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

It sounds like the coupler. If the trailer wiring isn't completely compatible w/ the truck's wiring, there's a little D-shaped insert that you can buy to put on the tongue to keep it from locking when backing uphill. You shouldn't need it if the trailer is backing downhill though.

Comment

trailer is a 5 wire. Yeah that coupler isnt stuck. It would still go back in forth but tires were locked in place. Tried disconneting everything and still nothing. I tried putting a lug nut in slot so coupler wouldnt move and still was stuck. Might have to take to a trailer place to get it looked at. At least the boat was rock solid. LOL

Comment

The brakes were probably dragging slightly during your pull and heated up. When you launched the boat it was like insta cool on the calipers which then "fused" to the rotors when you parked it. Have seen it happen on many trailers and the best solution has been to remove the pads. You will most likely destroy them (pads) in the process but remove the calipers from the rotors using a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer (and chewing gum :-). If you have a strong enough braking system on your tow vehicle (14" discs are a good thing) then block off the braking system altogether on the trailer to avoid future problems.
                Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

What about the little safety line? I cant remember what it's called, but it's the little cable that is supposed to activate the brakes if your trailer were to become detached from your truck.

Comment

Swing-away tongue? I had a pinched wire when we first bought ours & it did the same thing.

Comment

Yeah it has swing away tongue. Think it has something to do with the safety cable line. Will mess with it tom. Thanks fellas want to post pics of boat but dont know how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 93cobracoupe View Post
                        Yeah it has swing away tongue. Think it has something to do with the safety cable line. Will mess with it tom. Thanks fellas want to post pics of boat but dont know how to do it.
                        Just open a new reply box by clicking on "Post reply" (just underneath this message on the left side) and then click on the little paperclip (attachment) on the top row of buttons just above your new message box.

Comment

Had the same thing happen to me last year when trailering with a friends truck. Ended up being the wiring on his truck (fifth wire goes to the reverse lights) which then releases the brakes on the trailer) Quick fix- flip the trailer plug over and connect so that all for of the male connectors are together and the females are on opposite sides. Make sure to flip it back when you go forward again.

Comment

I am guessing it is not the lockout pin, since they are locked in forward and reverse. I am having the opposite problem, no brakes at all. What brand of trailer is it? I have a boat mate, but I think the braking mechanisms are generally the same. If you have the A-60 actuator made by trailer buddy here is a good pdf instruction manual to help you. If the emergency lockout is set, this will show you how to release it.

http://www.expediter.com/pdf%20folde...20Actuator.pdf
                            Friends don't let friends POWERTURN

Comment

Working...
                            X