Nightmare Mystery Wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmare Mystery Wobble

Went out to Laughlin, NV last weekend (6hr drive) and had to do 3 tire changes It's a long story with a variety of different issues, but I'll just focus on the one issue that I can't figure out.

The first four hours were pretty uneventful, then I started to notice a little bounce in the truck. The severity of the bounce would come and go. I tried to figure out if the change was based on speed, rpms and whether I was on the gas, brake or coasting, and I really couldn't pin it down too well.

I eventually noticed a little wobble in the rear driver's side truck tire. Over a few hours, (the rest of the trip there, and part of the trip home) the wobble got worse. I eventually changed out the truck tire and the problem went away. I was very relieved, but within another hour or two, the bounce slowly started to come back. I think I can see a little wobble now in the passenger's side rear truck tire.

Other factors to take into account include that I believe my fenders and bunks were rubbing the trailer tires. I tried to put a temporary fix on that, but don't think it was very successful.

I had the bounce in the truck, I could see a wobble in the rear truck tire(s) and I think I could see the trailer having a side to side movement. I imagine that one problem is causing the others, but don't know which is which.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You might want to post some pics of your tires, trailer, bunk, etc.. so others can see what you are referring to.

Comment

The three tires you changed were all on the truck? Or were there some on the truck and some on the trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
        The three tires you changed were all on the truck? Or were there some on the truck and some on the trailer?
        One tire changed was on the truck, two were on the trailer.

The truck tire was changed because I could see a visible wobble when I was looking at it in my side view mirror.

The first trailer tire was changed because something (I think it may have been roadkill) got kicked up into the fender which bent in and sliced the front tire. Second trailer tire was the rear on the same side, and I am not sure what the cause was on that one.

There was little to no clearance in some spots between the metal fender and the tire, and also between the carpeted bunk attached to the fender and the tire.

I will get some pics tonight, thanks.

Comment

Did you have the boat or truck loaded more heavily than normal? Did you adjust tire pressure for more weight? What happened to the bad tires, was it tread seperation? Hot roads and under inflation were partially responsible for the Firestone/Ford Explorer mess in the 90's.
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

A little bigger cooler this time around, but couldn't have added more than 100 lbs more than normal. Pressures were all checked and topped. As far as I can tell, the trailer tires blew due to the fenders. The wobbly truck tire is the one I can't figure out.
            Last edited by TigeTrojan; 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Here are a few shots, don't know how much they will help because I have a feeling most of the damage was caused after/by the blowout.

2012-08-01_06-25-52_11.jpg

2012-08-01_06-26-18_687.jpg

Comment

Does the bounce only happen when towing?
                Common Sense is not so Common
                Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

How old are the tires, looks like they failed where you see the most deformation as the tire is rolling, and also where you see most dry rot cracks begin to show.
                  2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                  2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

That tire was 1 year old. I think my fender turned into a can opener because I inspected the tire and didn't see any problems other than the single slice.

I had never had the bounce before this trip, with out without towing.
                    This morning was the first time I've driven the truck since the bounce started, and I did notice it. I was not towing this morning.

Comment

Are the tires too big for the trailer or the same size it came with? If same size tires, check the shackels on the trailer to see if they have any wear in the bolt holes that would cause the trailer to sit lower in relation to the axle. Then check the bushings in the leaf springs on the trailer. If its a multi layer leaf set up, check the springs if they are thin on the ends, they are wore out.

Comment

Same size tires that have been on it since I got it, but I'm a 2nd owner. Just going on my barely functioning memory here, but I don't think I saw any suspension at all when I was under it last night. Does that sound crazy?

Comment

Ok being that its an 04 model it could have torsion style axles. Those you wont see any springs all built into the axle iself. The hubs are on a trailing arm style that rotates under load. Im trying to remember if there is any spring adjustment on them but cant remember. If the tire size looks correct then something else is gonig on probably with the axle, but id double check the tire size first. Shouldnt ever get your tires to hit the fenders with the boat and some gear.

Comment

Just got back from the tire shop. Had someone look over the truck tires for me and he said the wobble was due to the truck tire's age and the heat. The tire started to separate and he actually found the bulge on the tire. In his opinion, I may have been having lots of trailer problems, but the wobble was a self contained truck tire problem.

After further inspection of the trailer fenders, I think the bunk board warped and one of the bolts was pretty loose.

Anyway, new fenders are on the way, and I'm going to try and mount them a little higher than the originals to give a bit more clearance. I'm also going to fabricate something creative to replace the boards that will give me more room too. I already took bearings out and they look great, so no need to replace. And I'll be checking the alignment on the trailer. Hopefully I will be able to get it all taken care of and enjoy a few seasons of problem free trailering.
                            Last edited by TigeTrojan; 08-02-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger761 View Post
                              Ok being that its an 04 model it could have torsion style axles. Those you wont see any springs all built into the axle iself. The hubs are on a trailing arm style that rotates under load. Im trying to remember if there is any spring adjustment on them but cant remember. If the tire size looks correct then something else is gonig on probably with the axle, but id double check the tire size first. Shouldnt ever get your tires to hit the fenders with the boat and some gear.
                              That's interesting. I just assumed there wasn't any. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X