New carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New carpet

I need to replace the carpet on the trailer bunks and was wondering what weight of marine grade carpet I need to get. (The 8 is about ½ the cost of the 12) also any tips?
    Thanks
    David W
    Tige, it's a way of life!

I think you could use any weight you want, but naturally, the heavier the weight, the better it will wear and the longer it will last.

I would also consider replacing the bunks as well. Stainless steel staple obviously and new mounting hardware for the bunks.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

if i replace the bunks, what wood should i use?
      Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

I just pulled mine off last week. They were redwood 2x4's. I used green treated 2x4's this time around. 5/16 x 1-1/4" Stainless lag screws hold them on.
        The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

Don't do it without an electric or pneumatic staple gun, I learned that the hard way. Mine were pressure treated, I couldn't find any decent looking boards so I went with Redwood, and applied stain on them before putting the carpet on.

If the ramp I normally went to put a bit of wear on my trailer...ie motoring on, or really having to crank the winch to get you boat up, I would go with the thicker stuff. If not I'd go with the 8 oz.

When I replaced them I had my new bunks tied to the trailer, put the boat in the water, replaced the bunks in the parking lot, and went out boating.

Comment

Originally posted by whitlock87 View Post
            if i replace the bunks, what wood should i use?
            Center cut redwood is preferred but marine grade #2 PT is you next option. HomeDepot and Lowes is hardly #2, more like #3, at best. Marine grade wood is treated with Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA), while box store wood is using a non-commercial playground safe alternative that is inadequate for trailer bunks. Why? Because the bunk is wrapped with carpet and stays wet for a very long time. You can buy #2 marine grade wood from any dock supplier. Our trailer has 4" X 6" center cut redwood, with stainless steel fasteners. They will last 20 years. It's cheaper to do it right once than to do it twice.

Comment

Working...
            X