Dorsey trailer tire pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dorsey trailer tire pressure

I have a Dorsey trailer for the 2001 Tige 21i. Apparently over the winter the recommended tire pressure ratings printed on the label on the front of the trailer have faded so much that I can no longer read it.

What is the recommended tire pressure for a Dorsey trailer for Tige 21i (Model # of the trailer also faded as well.)

I would look the max load of the tires and the max psi of those tires. If you boat, trailer and gear are close to the max load for the tires, then they should be inflated to the max psi. The tires can only carry the full load if the tires are fully inflated. And you don't need to add extra room in the tires for heating up, that is factored into the cold psi rating of the tires.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
      I would look the max load of the tires and the max psi of those tires. If you boat, trailer and gear are close to the max load for the tires, then they should be inflated to the max psi. The tires can only carry the full load if the tires are fully inflated. And you don't need to add extra room in the tires for heating up, that is factored into the cold psi rating of the tires.
      X2 and my tires are 50psi
      Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

As stated, it doesn't matter what the trailer says, since every tire manufacturer is has different ratings. Just use the max cold psi opted on the tires.
        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
          What if the load of my boat/equipment is less than max capacity of tires? Inflate them less than max psi?
          I figure its worse to be underinflated than overinflated. Is this correct?

As of now the tires are around 50psi.

Comment

Originally posted by geomaster View Post
            Thanks for the info guys.
            What if the load of my boat/equipment is less than max capacity of tires? Inflate them less than max psi?
            I figure its worse to be underinflated than overinflated. Is this correct?

As of now the tires are around 50psi.
            If you search hard enough you might find a chart that lists the psi vs load, and then inflate them to carry that load, but the charts are only for a specific tire and size from a specific brand and shouldn't be used on other tires. It doesn't hurt the tires to have them at max psi but it can lead to blowouts if you have the psi too low, so most people stay conservative and fill to max psi.

BTW, how did you determine the load on the tires? The dry weight listed for the boat is much lower than the actual weight, you would be suprised to see how much it actually weighs when you put it on a scale.
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I agree. Max psi is the safest and leaves room for heat and expansion in that number already.
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

DHM trailer - recommended pressure is the Max pressure.IMAG0743.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X