Disaster in Sac town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disaster in Sac town

So I headed to the delta by Five this past weekend (May 19th) for a little bit of play time on the river.

While after getting a speeding ticket in California for driving in the wrong lane, and for supposedly driving 82 in a 55 (can only go 55 when towing in California). This ticket will be over turned or a smaller fine in court. My GPS was saying that we were only going 66 at the time of getting pulled. Plus we were just getting on the highway in Colfax and were speeding up to merge in with traffic. This is another thread.

So, on the way home disaster strikes:

The tread separated from the TIRE! When it separated it pulled the trailer fender inwards, and basically started to shave off the tire. Of course no one was really open, and we don't have a spare. The ironic part is I ordered my spare rim and tire this last Tuesday to prepare for the upcoming summer trips we have planned. So with no spare we had to find a replacement. No one had a replacement trailer tire close to the size we needed. So I took the risk and just bought a regular passenger car tire, and prayed that it would withstand the 120 mile drive back to Reno. We made it back OK. Here is my highly customized trailer. What do you think? I like the two tone silver and blue. It's SEXY!!

That really did a number on that fender, didn't it? Amazing what a little speed and a tire tread are capable of. Sorry to see that this happened, hope it all gets worked out.

Comment

Did u have any damage to the boat?

Comment

Looks like camouflage pattern

Glad no one was hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by tnvolgrad View Post
          Did u have any damage to the boat?
          NONE!

Just a little bit of burnt rubber on the rear starboard side. Little hyphen and I cleaned that up first thing this morning.

Comment

did you know right away there was a problem?

looks pretty scary.

Comment

Not a fun day Hyphen, but good thing is it can be fixed.

Comment

By the way - I have a set of those rims if you are looking to replace yours. I know you said you ordered a spare, but thought I would check anyway. I upgraded my rims last year and hence the reason I have them. PM if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by hyphen79 View Post
                  So I headed to the delta by Five this past weekend (May 19th) for a little bit of play time on the river.

While after getting a speeding ticket in California for driving in the wrong lane, and for supposedly driving 82 in a 55 (can only go 55 when towing in California). This ticket will be over turned or a smaller fine in court. My GPS was saying that we were only going 66 at the time of getting pulled. Plus we were just getting on the highway in Colfax and were speeding up to merge in with traffic. This is another thread.

So, on the way home disaster strikes:

The tread separated from the TIRE! When it separated it pulled the trailer fender inwards, and basically started to shave off the tire. Of course no one was really open, and we don't have a spare. The ironic part is I ordered my spare rim and tire this last Tuesday to prepare for the upcoming summer trips we have planned. So with no spare we had to find a replacement. No one had a replacement trailer tire close to the size we needed. So I took the risk and just bought a regular passenger car tire, and prayed that it would withstand the 120 mile drive back to Reno. We made it back OK. Here is my highly customized trailer. What do you think? I like the two tone silver and blue. It's SEXY!!

nothing a mallet and english wheel cant fix.. Simple =)
                  www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
                  http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

Both of my fenders are like that. But due to rust from salt water, i can care less about bent fenders

Comment

Originally posted by tnvolgrad View Post
                      By the way - I have a set of those rims if you are looking to replace yours. I know you said you ordered a spare, but thought I would check anyway. I upgraded my rims last year and hence the reason I have them. PM if interested.

We have the exact same trailer. Same color and everything.

Originally posted by Wickedcummins View Post
                      nothing a mallet and english wheel cant fix.. Simple =)
                      I have the mallet. The english wheel on the other hand... no go. My buddy owns a machine shop down the street from where I work. I am going to stop by his shop tomorrow, and see what he can do for me. What sucks is that these fenders are welded to the steps. That is beyond my skill set.

Originally posted by kx250frider617 View Post
                      Both of my fenders are like that. But due to rust from salt water, i can care less about bent fenders
                      Yeah, my wife and I were trying to figure out if we wanted to fix it now or wait.

Comment

Originally posted by kx250frider617 View Post
                        I have similar trailer, 3 and a half years old, it just collapsed on sunday! rusted clean through the front cross member, been getting quotes on a new one recently, but am a bit late!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the problems. You have to stay in the right two lanes of the highway in CA and like you said it is 55ph while towing. You've got the right idea about battling the ticket. You will at least get the fine reduced. I imagine the fine will be pretty steep with multiple infractions like that?
                          What brand tires are they and how old are they?
                          How was the Delta after all of that?
                          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

We didn't get to hang out much. As soon as we met up, my brother in law's Mastercraft decided to throw bits of it's transmission housing all over the bilge, literally.

So I had to leave hyphen and tow my bro in law back to the ramp, then it was late and I had to roll out. At least he got some good time on the water. My secret spot is pretty quiet
                            Waiting for another good one!

Comment

I was wondering why you weren't out at Lahontan yesterday.

What a pisser. That'll teach you to go to California.

I had the same thing happen to the same tire when I first got my boat. It happened on the same road even. It was about the worst spot to have it happen though, about two miles before Boca on our way up. There's nowhere to even pull over. We had to tough it out all the way to the exit only to find that the hardware for the spare doesn't match the lugnuts and I didn't have the correct size tools to remove the spare from its mount. Had to borrow some channel locks and stripit wrench from the minimart.

What tires were those? Date code?
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X