Which trailer should I go with? ‘97 2150 WT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which trailer should I go with? ‘97 2150 WT

Hello all! Just bought my first boat, a ‘97 Pre2150 WT…without a trailer. Turns out I am looking for a unicorn! I’ve been told ordering new is going to be around $8500 and turnaround time is up to 12 weeks. I’m looking at 3 less expensive options right now.

Preowned MC trailer that looks like it was made for a Prostar 190. Old and needs a handful of things: tires, brakes, rotors, winch strap, boat buddy, and ideally new bunks and carpet. Price to buy is $2500

Next option is a new aluminum trailer from Rocket/Blue Fin which will have to be modified to fit an inboard because the inboard models aren’t coming out fast enough. The distributor is confident they can make it work for my boat for $6825 including a spare tire and will be ready within a week! Pretty sure this is what I am going with.

The third option is a new steel trailer which will be made to specs for the 2150 by Haul-Rite. Advantage is lower price of $5500. Disadvantage is that it will not be available until Aug 25th.

What do you all think? I appreciate any feedback.

Last edited by Eharm; 07-14-2022, 04:08 PM.

TeamAllen Thanks! We researched a bit before making the purchase and knew a trailer would not be cheap. It was an unfortunate aspect of the purchase, but the 2150 came from a family relative who took meticulous care of it and gave us a bargain. So we decided it was still worth it.

We ended up going with the new aluminum option which has adjustable bunks. We’re picking up the trailer and then the boat this weekend. Will post a pic and credit the distributor when I have a chance.

Comment

Just realized I never updated this post to show the Rocket trailer. Sold to me by Gladstone Cove Boat Trailer Sales in Lake of the Ozarks. Here it is. Picture from the parking lot is before some modifications that had to be made to make it loadable. Bought the trailer new with the idea that we could adjust bunks on the ramp the first time loading. That ended up being a nightmare at one point requiring 4 men lifting the bow up to the bow stop to get it on the trailer well enough to pull it out. Took it back to the trailer dealer and reviewed ideas for further modifications to make it work. They were good guys to work with, but hadn't modified one of these for a on old direct-drive yet. I think they had mainly been working with big v-drives which required less modification and different bunk configuration.

Pros:
      - $2k-$3k less expensive than ordering from Boatmate
      - Dealer had it modified for an inboard and ready to sell within a couple weeks of ordering
      - Super smooth ride with torsion axles.
      - Weighs less than a steel trailer

Cons:
      - First time loading was a nightmare. Needed further modifications to make it fit and loadable for this boat which was a painstakingly long process with the dealer. We lost several weekends.
      - It is very long at 27 ft from ball hitch to rear!

We were in a special situation needing something fast to take possession of the boat after buying it, so this was our best option. ​

Comment

Working...
      X