Chipped paint tidy-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipped paint tidy-up?

My trailer is paint over steel, and has a lot chipped paint, particularly around the lower parts, and the chipped areas have all got surface rust.
    I'm going to re-paint the whole thing eventually, but in the interim, I'd like to just tidy it up to stop it getting any worse.
    Looking for advice on the process to do this?
    Presuming this will involve limited sanding just to the chips by hand or I do have a Makita polisher and an angle grinder so I could put a sandpaper disc on there, but don't want to turn this into a massive job unnecessarily, then some kind of protection treatment / rust inhibitor(?) to the exposed metal, then apply a metal primer and some kind of top coat.
    Doesn't need to be a top-notch finish, just something that will withstand being dipped in the lake over the season for many launch & retrieve operations, and then get the whole thing repainted in a year or so.
    Suggestions on products and method much appreciated.
    Attached Files

For the frame or anywhere not overly noticeable I would just give it a once over with a wire brush to remove rust and a light sand. Then some white Rustoleum spray paint. You arent going to get a perfect finish but nobody is looking under your boat and like you said your plan is to re paint it anyways.

Comment

excellent! thanks so much for that - super straight forward.
      I'm onto it.

Comment

Working...
      X