Normal trailer hub temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal trailer hub temperature?

Hi guys, just wanting to bounce something off of the forum...

My front axle wheel hubs (brake axel) run pretty hot after short trips. 140-150 degrees. Both sides the same. My rear axel with no brakes is about 110 degrees. Air temp where I live is 100 degrees. I noticed this a trip ago, re-greased after this red flag, and there's no change. Still running 140-150 degrees after short trips.

Is this normal? Everything looked clean regarding the bearings.. hub spun freely when reinstalled etc. Bearings are new this year.

It’s normal for hubs that have brakes to run hotter. One piece hub/disc combo brakes are constantly rubbing and transferring heat to the hub. Same thing happens with drums.
    Make sure you don’t over tighten the hub nut when reinstalling or that can add unwanted extra friction heat to the mix.

Comment

I keep a non contact thermometer in my truck and check my hub temps at every stop. Been doing this for all my trailers for a long time. On my boat trailers my hubs temps have always been 94-98 degrees after 50 miles or so of warm up. They are always within 2-3 degrees of each other. I wouldn't care too much what the temp is as long as the axle pair are close to each other. All my boat trailer axles have had brakes on them.

Based on my numbers, your brake axle seems hot, but are probably just fine. How much restriction was there on the tires when you rotated them by hand when they were in the air? Disc or drum brakes? Drums run hotter than discs do. I'd check your temps every 50 miles or so for the next several trips. If the numbers keep getting hotter you know a failure is coming.

Comment

It seems like the 150° temp is only occurring when it’s 100°+ outside.

I checked temps after 20 min of driving early in the morning with air temps around 70°, and trailer hubs got to 85-90.

I then checked temps after 20 min of driving in 100° weather full sun and they were 140°.

I didn’t realize how much air temp effects the hubs but hopefully this thread helps someone

Comment

Working...
        X