4WD systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4WD systems

I hope this is OK in the trailer section. I currently have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Has quadra trac II, so I have a transfer case. I am look for a new vehicle, and many current vehicles that are the right size (Explorer, Ridgeline, for example) just have AWD. I wonder how good these things really are. When I back my trailer into the garage from a grassy area, slightly up hill, even the GC can't do it easily unless I go into 4-low. I don't want a pickup, or a large vehicle. I guess I can just get another GC, but wondering what experience you guys have with things like the Explorer or Ridgeline, 4-runner, X5, etc.. I am towing a Tige 20v. Not far, just to and from the lake a few miles.

Thanks.

So we’ve owned several explorers, all of them AWD. I pulled a 19’ I/o with it no problem - but that was at the top of its rated towing range. Most of the cars you mention use electronic awd systems and don’t really have a 4 low. They do have decent independent wheel power control, but that’s not the same thing as dropping into a lower gear ratio. The explorer sport with the eco boost v6 has a lot of power and decent power control per wheel. Same with the x5.

But. I wouldn’t buy one to tow a boat on a regular basis. My 2wd f150 with a locking rear differential can back a 30’ boat up a slick hill most of the time. It’s just night and day different to a midsize suv. Maybe take one on a demo and try it out though if that’s the far for you brother. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Makes we wonder if your are locking up the trailer surge brakes when you are backing uphill?
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
        Makes we wonder if your are locking up the trailer surge brakes when you are backing uphill?
        This was my first thought as well. The GC should have no problem backing up a slight grassy hill

Comment

After purchase I drug my Z1 (~4300#) around 350mi to its new home with my '14 4Runner 2WD with no issues (other than consuming copious amounts of fuel). Of course this was all highway/interstate. The boat lives on a dock/lift so I cannot speak to routine launch and retrieval performance. Certainly a 4WD model would add peace of mind for those situations, but I would not hesitate to tow again with it.

Comment

In a nutshell, AWD is 4-Hi on a 4WD vehicle with 2-speed transfer case. So are you needing the 4-Lo for reduced wheel spin or the extra torque?

In a more technical sense, 4-Hi can be 3-WD if the rear diff is a pegleg. Many newer AWD likely have 4-way independent traction control, so you will have all for wheels driving, and the electronics to keep one from getting out of shape.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Probably not what you want to hear but why not just get rid of the grass?
              My mom has a 4runner, not a bad SUV but I find it's a little underpowered and really lacks in technology being the highest trim level. The 4wd system has never really been used to its full capabilities but it does great in the snow for traction.
              You mention ridgeline so what about a Jeep gladiator? Not too big and pretty decent capabilities if you can get over its ugliness.

Comment

I had been towing my 22v with a 5th gen 4runner. It's underpowered for the job.. I really shouldn't be towing with it. It makes it to the lake 15 miles away on flat ground but that's all it can do. Any other lakes near by me in the hills are a no go. Stops very slow, tough on the brakes (trailer breaks do work but I don't think they do enough). in 4lo it's a beast when I need it to be at real slow speeds.

4runner max tow is 5,000 lbs... a 22v is 3950 dry, plus trailer and all the gear I'm guessing to be towing around 6k currently.

I put a down payment on a GMC sierra 1500 Diesel a few days ago.

Comment

Just an update.. No, I was not pushing against the surge brakes. No, I can't pave my mom's entire lawn behind the pool house garage. Yes, the GC can only do it in 4-Low. And I just bought another GC. 2021, before they screw it up next year. Was the easiest thing to do, and I loved my 14 GC. Just had to drive two hours for the right options and good deal. This one if virtually the same with some added electronic tom-foolery for the phone hookup. I'm good! Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Hello, this is an older thread so I hope someone can help, is my vehicle enough to tow these? I'm buying a Tige R22 or Z3 soon. Been looking for a while and found a couple nice ones! Will be my first boat in many years and first wake/surf boat. I have a Lexus GX 460. Rated at 6500. With V8 it should be able to pull either? Anyone with experience have an opinion, I'd love to know. Any opinions on the trailer set up? I'll only be towing 10-20 miles to a couple different lakes. No big inclines/hills or other dramatic issues. Minnesota flat, maybe a few well paved hills near the St Croix and Mississippi. My last experience was a Landcruiser pulling a smaller boat ~18' runabout smaller engine quite a bit lower weight. Thx

Comment

A RZ2 will be over 7000 pounds and the Z3 would be a bigger boat as well. I think it would pull "ok" but perhaps the stopping maybe another issue. I would be a bit concerned on how traction would be on some steep and slippery ramps.

Comment

Working...
                      X