Spare tire - what else do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare tire - what else do I need?

I know very little about trailer tires so I have what is probably a stupid question...

I ordered an extra wheel+tire assembly from boatmate which exactly matches the wheels/tires on the trailer. I also bought the mounting bracket to attach it to the trailer.

What else do I need to make this a functional spare tire? Anything?

Picture of the new spare...

Just the tools to be able swap it for a flat one.

Comment

Make sure you have the proper size wrench to take lugs off and that your jack works. Spare tires don't work very well if you can't get them on.

Comment

bsreid get you one of these!! Way quicker than the jack. There is a steel version called the Easy up thats even better.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T...83094889&psc=1

Comment

Yeah I actually have the diy version of that, totally forgot. Was a wheel chock that fit in between the two tires on my rv. Made it out of stacked deck boards.

Comment

I made one out of (2) 4x4's and some plywood. Doesn't work as well on leaf sprung axles though as the other axle tends to droop too much to get the tire off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby
              Most important put air in it.... On the serous side do check it for air as you do with all the other tires.
              I always put 4-5 more psi in my spare(don’t exceed max rating) to account for temperature fluctuations and potentially slow leaks. Then I can easily let some air out to the right pressure when replacing the spare with flat tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This might be for another topic, but I was under the impression that the trailer tire should always be at the max air pressure.
                Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

-The small compressor I keep in the boat for my BABZ will also inflate my trailer tires if needed.
                  -I keep a half inch breaker bar and deep sockets in my truck during boating season.
                  -Due to having a wheel shear off a few years back I know have a spare rotor I keep in my truck during boating season.
                  -Check your wheel torque often especially if you've just removed any or all wheels recently.
                  -I also keep a tube of Vault grease in my truck.
                  -I keep a full socket set in my truck, have another small socket set in my boat along with some basic hand tools for on water or land repairs.

The more side of the road experiences you have the more prepared you'll make yourself next time. When I travel to my family's lake house (2hrs) I always bring an extra bag of tools and bring my wheel chocks incase I do have to drop the trailer. The jack that comes with the truck has worked for me.

Comment

MORE than a wrench that fits the lugs...make sure you can get to the lugs with the wrench you have. With many of the new fancy wheels, a thin wall deep socket is necessary. Also, just as important...Do you have a center cap? how is it attached? Mine is with Allen key heads. Make sure you have the appropriate Allen wrench to get the center cap off. I can not get to my lugs without removing the center cap.

Ever change a tire on the side of the road??? I have...probably the most scared I have ever been in my life.

After that, I went to Lowes and bought a 24v cordless Impact wrench, https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-V...ded/1000604927, and a set of thin-walled deep impact sockets. I also have a 3/8" impact with attachments to get the center cap off,https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-12-Vo...ded/1000768704

and I tow with a pickup truck. I have a toolbox that I keep these tools in. And I do not care what I have to leave at home I always take this with me too!!!! https://www.autozone.com/engine-and-...ers=4294962600

the less time I am sitting on the side of the road the better!!!!!!!

AND no matter what, when I change a tire...EVERYONE is out of the vehicle and moved up into the brush or whatever and other 50-100' from the road!

Comment

Among most of the items listed above, I also keep a noncontact thermometer in my drivers door pocket. Every time I stop I shoot the hubs to see how they're doing. They've never been over 98 degrees and always within 1-2 degrees of each other.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I think I’ll order one of those Trailer-aid ramps.

My original question, however, was intended to be more about the wheel and tire itself, not so much the tire-changing process (sorry, wasn’t clear). But I’m certainly very happy to hear all these tips nonetheless.

More specifically, I was wondering about the wheel hub and bearing system. Do I need to have an extra hub/bearings available? The new wheel/tire came with a center cap, but nothing else for the hub. Does the wheel easily slip off the center hub and does the spare easily slide back on? Or is there something else I need to know?

Comment

The Vault hubs are pretty reliable and have only seem a couple seal failures. Never a complete bearing failure on a Vault.

If you google "trailer buddy vault manual" there's a handful of pdfs out there that include all your bearing ajd seal infonif you want to keep some spares on hand.

Do you torsion and leafs on your trailer??

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                            Among most of the items listed above, I also keep a noncontact thermometer in my drivers door pocket. Every time I stop I shoot the hubs to see how they're doing. They've never been over 98 degrees and always within 1-2 degrees of each other.
                            Great idea. Just ordered one. Lol

I normally use a quick touch with my hand.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                              The Vault hubs are pretty reliable and have only seem a couple seal failures. Never a complete bearing failure on a Vault.

If you google "trailer buddy vault manual" there's a handful of pdfs out there that include all your bearing ajd seal infonif you want to keep some spares on hand.

Do you torsion and leafs on your trailer??
                              Great information. I looked it up and went through it. Glad I did. I was planning on repacking all my bearings in the next week or so. Now I don't have to!

Comment

Working...
                              X