Prop Guard Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop Guard Wheels

My driveway has multiple slopes that cause my prop guard to drag for a couple feet when backing it in. I once saw a trailer with a couple heavy duty castor wheels welded to the prop guard. Does this work? Where do I get the wheels? I have a buddy with a welder so this would be my Intro to Welding 101 course

Are you talking about using actual swivel casters or the steel rollers that a lot of tow boat trailers have? I don't think you'd want casters as they would hang too low and always be dragging.
    You could make the rollers pretty easily by purchasing a foot of, say, 1" x .25" wall tube. Then cut 4 tabs to weld to the bottom of the prop guard. Drill a 1/2" hole in the tabs. Cut the tube at least in half or shorter if you want. Run a 1/2" bolt through one tab, through the tube, through a washer, through the next tab and then put a nut on tight. Put the whole assembly against the prop guard and weld in place. Remove the bolt and washer. Apply anti-seize heavily to the inside of the tube. Reinstall the bolt, but not the washer. Put the washer on the outside of the tab with the nut. Use a lock nut to tighten it down but not so tight to prevent the roller from turning.

Comment

Like unstuck said if you put the casters under the prop guard they will be way too low. I have seen them mounted on the side of the prop cage so they hang down less.

Comment

As the above said...you don't want to go below as you'll lose clearance. You'd want to mount to the side like shown below. I have the same issue on one side of my driveway that has a dip and makes my trailer drag. I have the wheels but it still makes a horrible sound dragging so I've made a bit of a wood bridge to raise that side of the trailer. Not ideal but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
          Are you talking about using actual swivel casters or the steel rollers that a lot of tow boat trailers have? I don't think you'd want casters as they would hang too low and always be dragging.
          You could make the rollers pretty easily by purchasing a foot of, say, 1" x .25" wall tube. Then cut 4 tabs to weld to the bottom of the prop guard. Drill a 1/2" hole in the tabs. Cut the tube at least in half or shorter if you want. Run a 1/2" bolt through one tab, through the tube, through a washer, through the next tab and then put a nut on tight. Put the whole assembly against the prop guard and weld in place. Remove the bolt and washer. Apply anti-seize heavily to the inside of the tube. Reinstall the bolt, but not the washer. Put the washer on the outside of the tab with the nut. Use a lock nut to tighten it down but not so tight to prevent the roller from turning.
          My mistake -- yes the steel rollers would be what I saw a while back.

Comment

If you have torsion axels on your trailer you may have the ability to lift you trailer so it doesn’t drag. My trailer from the dealer was 1.5“ from the lowest point on the trailer to the ground. I scraped on everything. I rotated my axles to improve my ground clearance.

Comment

Skiguy, I just set up my trailer with casters from castercity.com. I called them for a recommendation and they recommended the RIGID EXTRA HEAVY POLYURETHANE ON ALUMINUM (see link below). They highly recommended rigid over swivel indicating that a sharp blow to a swivel castor at the wrong angle will snap it off. The casters came with mounting plates and a welder friend cut and welded 2" square tubing to the frame. These casters aren't cheap but it works amazingly well. They gave me 20% off the list price when I called in.

https://shop.castercity.com/ProductD...e=G15CP8x2PS-R

Comment

Working...
              X