Ug - what a bad day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ug - what a bad day

gorgous day - decided the wife and I and the kids will take a midday trip to the lake.

Unload the boat - take it out to a small cove across the lake - boat runs fine.

Kids swim for an hour or so - the wife and decided we want to board for a bit.

I jump in - she hits the gas - the boat gets up to speed then sputters and dies - engine catches again - then dies again -she cutts the throttle.

I ask what happened - she tells me - we do it again - same thing.
    I climb back in - try to bring it up to speed - gets to about 2500 RPM - engine sputters - and dies - I drop the thottle back to idel speed - its goes fine. We make our way back to the dock at - cant bring the rpm past 1500 or the same thing.

Its only has like 35 hours on it. Im thinking maybe water in the gas -but just not sure. I filled up about 5 days ago - ran it for a few hours (ran fine) - brought it home (it lives in the garage) - brought it out today - ran fine for about 20 mins - then the trouble started.
    (still the same gas)

Any ideas on what may be wrong?

One thing that comes to mind is the fuel pump or have you checked your water/fuel separator?

Comment

Rob,
      Did you buy your boat from Spencer out at Big Boyz Toyz?

Tip
      -Tip

Comment

Yup.
        Why do u ask?? (just curious)

Its funny - we love the boat - but have just had so many little things go wrong w/ it.
        Cooler plug was leaking
        speedometer doesnt work
        taps gauge sticks
        bilge pump burned out
        now this....

Saw him at the boat show this weekend - and he pulled the boat back to the shop (saved me a 2 1/2 hour drive)

We wll see what happens...

Comment

fix it

i can tell you what the problem probably is. happended to me this summer. I called my dealer he told me to unplug the main wireing harness in the back of the engine and check to make sure that none of the pins were pressed together then plug it back in securly and screw the clamp tightly. since i have had no problems, and it was easy. mine was just loose. what happens in when its loose i will cause interuptions in the power and the engine shuts down. mine did exactly what its sounds like yours did. i have friend that is part owner of pcm and he told me the same thing.
          just ask if you have any questions.
          as far as taps goes it sucks.
          mine has been replaced 2 times this summer and the dealer is waiting on me to haul it up there so they can replace it a third time.

Comment

Rob,
            I was asking because I bought my boat from Spencer, and had a few problems also. Spencer has been pretty good about getting some things fixed. I keep my boat on a lift up at Lake Gaston and he even drove all the way up there one time to fix a wiring harness problem.

I'm with you, I love the boat. But I question Tige's reliability and given Tige's track record for addressing problems (like the engine hesitation problem) I will more than likely not buy another one. I feel like I'm making a lot of compromises I should not have to make.

Tip
            -Tip

Comment

Yea - he is a good guy and has been ok about fixing things.
              But when u pay almost 40k for a boat and i dont expect anything to go wrong w/ it for a while.

Its one of those things where if the dealer was 15mins away it would be no biggie - but its a 2 1/2 hr trip each way for me - basically kills a day which sux.

Not sure if id get another one either. The 2 huge selling points w/ me were 1 the storage in the 22v - not having ballest tanks free up 2 HUGE compartments on both sides of the engine and other thing in seating area is 4" deeper than anyother boats we looked at. (Malibu, Nautique and MC)
              4" may not seem like a lot - but we have 3 little kids, ages 1,2&4 and 4 extra inches height is 4 extra inches they need to be b/4 they would accidently fall out of the boat. (more of a good feeling thing for the wife) PLus w/ 3 kids - just image the amount of crap that goes to the lake w/ us - the storage on the boat rocks!

Comment

The deep freeboard was one of the main selling points for us too. The storage is really nice but we really liked the idea of not needing to deal with ballast tanks. It's interesting that we bought the same boat (22v) for almost the identical reasons.

If you ever find yourself up at Gaston look me up. I have yet to see another late model Tige there. FYI there is a wakeboard tournament on Sat Sept 11 sponsored by Glass and Powder. The last one they sponsored had more than 90 riders and it was spectacular.

Take it easy and good luck with the boat.

Tip
                -Tip

Comment

Is this the first boat yall have ever owned?

Comment

Yup. Why???

The more i talk w/ people - i have a feeling that you are going to tell me that this is the norm???

Ive heard from a lot of boat owners - the 2 best days of boating are the day the you buy it and the day you sell it!!

Comment

It's not my first boat. I owned a 2000 Chaparrel and I never had a single problem in the three seasons I owned it.

My reason for not buying another Tige is not because of the problems I've had with the boat. It's a mechanical device and some problems should be expected. The reason I won't buy another Tige is because Tige does not seem interested in fixing the problems. Why should I have to fight Mercrusier to fix the engine hestiation problem? I didn't buy the boat from Mercrusier, I bought it from Tige.

In my opinion, you either stand behind your product or you don't. I still love the boat, I'm just disappointed in the company that built it.
                      -Tip

Comment

yes, i have owned 5 different boats and have had problems with all of them. They were all different makes of boats all with their own problems. So yes problems with boats are to be expected.

I have had a good experience with Tige standing by their product. I am sorry yall feel differently. If it is that bad go by another brand boat and good luck to you with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X