Noise in V-Drive Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise in V-Drive Area

I just bought a 2001 21V Riders and I notice when taking off durring the hull shot that there is a vibration/raddle type noise coming from around the V-Drive area. Is this normal for these boats? It really only happens on take off. Once the boat planes, you don't here it anymore. I was thinking it was normal and getting use to it but the first time my buddy pulled me, he mentioned his first impression was he thought the boat was falling apart on take off. I have allways had IO's prior to this and maybe it's just part of the V-Drive design. I have taken the box over the V-Drive off and checked for anything loose in there plus tightened all the scews, etc. holding the compartments together.

Everyone I have been in does this. I have an 04 22v and it also does this

Comment

My 2002 21V has a grinding noise that is normal for the v-drive transmission that I wasn't used to in other boats. I also have had a vibration that occurs just above idle speed, but have had everything checked thoroughly and I am told something about harmonics and stuff...I've got a new strut, shaft, prop, repeated alignments and the tranny has been looked at.

The vibration I get just above idle speed is not noticeable when accellerating. I'm not sure what yours sounds like - does it occur when you are going at a certain speed without accelerating? I would be sure to have the alignment looked at, they occasionally shift.
      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Sounds like the PSS is loose and rattling on the shaft. You might need to compress the PSS slightly to rid the problem.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I don't feel the vibration in the handling or drive of the boat. I only hear it in the V-Drive compartment and only on take off. Once I'm through the hull shot I don't hear it anymore at any speed. I look into the PSS and alignment. Thanks

Comment

Lee, i was wondering if you could tell me what is the PSS?

Comment

Working...
            X