TAPS Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAPS Guage

My taps guage on my boat is not working. The boat is a 2000 23v. The system looks to be a hydraulic system. It comes and goes as it wants to. The plate moves up and down like it should. All wires are conected. Anyone else know what i should look for?

The TAPS system on our boats is basically a single-plate Bennett Marine trim tab. The hydraulic rams are a limited throw (1 1/8") version of a standard ram. The pump is a modified V351 hydraulic power unit with one side plugged off since there is only one trim plate. The gauge is a modified trim position display. A rep at Bennett told me the sensor in one of the trim rams (2 green wires) is a type that if the ram moves the gauge value should change. Changing the position of the ram changes the sensor value. So if the gauge is reading intermittently and the plate is moving I would start at the gauge. There is a small potted module in our wiring harness that looks like it has relays in it for the for the pump control. Next to it is a yellow fuse holder - make sure there's no corrosion on the fuse and that the fuse is good. The fuse element may be loose. Check for loose stud nuts on the back of the gauge. Check the 2 small green sensor wires to make sure they are not pinched, they're very thin.

Comment

cool. thanks for a place to start. Im putting a sub into the boat this friday so ill get up under there and get this fixed as well.

Comment

One more note....the green wires that come in to the instrument can be connected to either side (up or down input) and the gauge will still work.
        http://www.wakeboatworld.com
        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Check resistance of the green wires in the up and down positions. If the value changes it is something with the gauge itself or the wiring to the gauge (power/ground).
          My TAPS goes to eleven!

Comment

Working...
          X