Ballast pump impeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast pump impeller?

Thanks to the quick responce to my last question. Lets see who can help me with this one.

Last night we were going out to surf, and it took FOREVER to fill one of my rear factory ballast tanks. I mean like 20 minutes plus. My buddy said that I probably need to change the impellor in the ballast pump.

Has anyone done this? I don't know what brand pumps I have, but they are part of the facory ballast system that was installed. They are yellow in color.

If anyone has done this, please clue me in on how to change it, and where do I get the impellor ( A West Marine type of store) ?

Thanks
    "Just Surf Damn it"

Are you sure the pump was filling that whole time? My guess would be that it was vapor locked for the first 15 minutes and it was only filling for the last 5+

Did you try flipping the switches off and then back on in case the pump was vapor locked?
    If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

I did. When I go to empty the tank, only a small stream comes out, so if it's filling as slow as its empty (ing), I'm thinking impellor.
      "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Mallek View Post
        I did. When I go to empty the tank, only a small stream comes out, so if it's filling as slow as its empty (ing), I'm thinking impellor.
        Can you see/feel any impeller particles in the bottom of the ballast tanks? If the impeller is the issue, I am wondering if parts of the impeller got into the tank and then eventually, those parts are going to exit and mess up the new impeller.

Comment

I cant see into the tanks. There covered with the carpeting used throughout the boat. It sounds like I need to do some more investigating.
          "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

I agree. It would suck if parts of the old impeller destroyed the new impeller because you were pumping out water..... Let us know what you find out.... But again, you could have been expelling the water from the ballast tanks and that is when the impeller originally went bad also... In that case, you wouldn't have any particles in the tanks. But, yes, a quick investigation will prevent another purchase of another impeller.

Comment

Beautiful boat da.bell.
              Do you ever get into the Delta, or do you stick around Folsom?
              Is this concidered hijacking my own thread???
              "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

No, you can just change the subject. Hijacking is when others come in and push their agenda on your thread.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Beautiful boat da.bell.
                  Do you ever get into the Delta, or do you stick around Folsom?
                  Is this concidered hijacking my own thread???
                  We get out of Folsom once in awhile. Went up to New Hogans and hooked up with surfdad. Was thinking about this weekend's INT but again, we don't know the delta at all and just my luck would get me lost. Thanks, would have to hook up one time with you and get a tour of the Delta.

Hijacking is so easy unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                    No, you can just change the subject. Hijacking is when others come in and push their agenda on your thread.
                    Winner!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
                      Was thinking about this weekend's INT but again, we don't know the delta at all and just my luck would get me lost.
                      Where's your sense of adventure?
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                        Where's your sense of adventure?
                        I wish but I have heard some horror stories about people getting lost in the Delta and not getting out for hours.... Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Comment

Before you change your impeller I would try to open up the impeller top and let some of the air and water out. Sounds like it may have gotten vapor locked. I do this whenever one of my pumps is acting up and it works 100% of the time.

All you need to do is flip the "black tab" down and turn the pump counter clockwise, about 1/4 turn. The top will then open up. I usually will only lift the pump top about 2-3 inches from the housing.

Comment

Thanks Matt. I'll try it this afternoon, and report back.
                            "Just Surf Damn it"

Comment

Did the factory use reversible pumps If so, I'd agree it's an impeller
                              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                              X