Skiing behind my 2006 20V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skiing behind my 2006 20V

I have a 2006 20V and am having trouble keeping the boat from bouncing at 30 mph. It is pretty smooth with me in the boat (195lbs) but when I am on the rope, not so much. I am thinking about putting a fat sack in, but am not sure where to position it. Any ideas?

Do you have your TAPS all the way down? Try playing with it. I know at 30+, we adjust TAPS to 2 or 3 on my boat so it makes as little contact with the water as possible.

If it continues to porpoise, put some more weight in the bow. Porpoising is usually caused by not enough weight in the bow.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Taps Setting

I have tried the TAPS at between 0 and 3.5, it seems to be best at 0, at higher settings the wake is not very smooth at the end of the rope (15 off)

Comment

Ok, then the best thing to do is use people to figure out the right balance before you buy ballast. Try adding 1 person to the bow and see if that makes a difference. Remember, your boat will like at least a 50/50 weight distribution, if not 60/40, front/back.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Added some weight to the bow, it seems to help. I am going to experiment with different amounts tomorrow.

Comment

on my 20v at 30+ i have no bounce till taps at over 3 (no ballast). Does your taps plate move full range?

Comment

I think so, you think it might not be going all the way up?
              Last edited by hooscal15; 07-31-2007, 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Actually, if you're setting your TAPS to 0, it would push the plate all the way down. If you're looking at it on the trailer, the plate should be at a different (and more downward angle) than the hull where it is mounted. In the up (or wakeboarding position), it would be at an upward angle from the hull.

Comment

Before adding ballast which is going to make your slalom wake bigger, I would put a shim on your taps plate, that way at the 1 setting it will be further down forcing the bow of the boat down. Porposing is a big problem with the 20V, and if the taps plate was mounted a little higher than normal you will not get the downforce on the bow of the boat.

Comment

dogbert is right

Taps is a system that pushes the bow down and prevents porpousing when utilized. Taps evolved from that whole usage. Back in the old days the plate was fastened rigidly to the hull where it intersected the transom and had turnbuckles to push (bend) the plate down. When the taps guage reads 8 the plate is pulled out of its effective range and doesn't contribute at skiing speeds. When the taps gauge is set at 1 the plate is in its most effective and downward position forcing the bow of the boat down at any speed. I have a brand new 07 20 v that I ski behind, and I found that the taps setting that gives me the best wake is around 4. This is somewhat subjective. I can eliminate porpousing with the taps set around 5 or 6 depending on the distribution of weight in the boat. I could go on and on, as I have owned a tige for over ten years and did some design work fo tige in the 90's.
                    Last edited by third timer; 08-22-2007, 01:58 PM. Reason: grammer
                    If I can be of any help at all, your in deep doo doo!

Comment

Originally posted by third timer View Post
                      Taps is a system that pushes the bow down and prevents porpousing when utilized. Taps evolved from that hole usage. Back in the old days the plate was fastened rigidly to the hull where it intersected the transom and had turnbuckles to push (bend) the plate down. When the taps guage reads 8 the plate is pulled out of its effective range and doesn't contribute at skiing speeds. When the taps gauge is set at 1 the plate is in its most effective and down ward position forsing the bow of the boat down at any speed. I have a brand new 07 20 v that I ski behind, and I found that the taps setting that gives me the best wake is around 4. This is somewhat subjective. I can eliminate porpousing with the taps set around 5 or 6 depending on the distribution of weight in the boat. I could go on and on, as I have owned a tige for over ten years and did some design work fo tige in the 90's.
                      Third Timer;

An you just found out about this site???? Welcome to the site or have you been lurking around for some time without registering. Post pic's of your boat if you can. We live off pictures here. Again, welcome.

Comment

late bloomer

Thanks for the welcome. I have never been much for online chat, but my attitudes are evolving. You all are people I can relate to. I'm working on some shots of the ride. If you want to see my last tige go to www.sunsetboats.com and check out the used boats. mines the pre 2050. The first one out of the mold in 97.

Comment

taps should do the trick

By the way, If youcan't fix the ride with taps then you need to investigate the functionality of the system. Adding ballast is treating the symptom not the illness. Don't accept a half *&% solution. No tige should need to have the furniture rearranged to get the ride right.

Comment

a couple pics

If I've done it right there are a couple of pics of the boat at my house.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Third Timer, does your 20V bounce when you are running at 30mph? How many people are in the boat and where are they sitting?

Comment

Working...
                              X