24V performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24V performance?

Well I am bearing down and trying to find a Tige. Our local dealers (manitoba/saskatchewan) switched to Malibu for some reason. So they are liquidating there tige stock. They have a 2004 tige 24v that I am looking at. The price is right for what we are looking but the size is not. I was looking for a 22v. The 22v I have the most experiance with as far as driving and boarding behind. I have rode behind the 24v once and liked it as well.

I am just wondering how the driveability is effected between both lengths? Also this boat has the 6.0l in it. How is it on gas compared to the 5.7 330 hp engine? How many hours per tank? Are there any issues to be worried about?

Thanks in advance.
    2016 Tige Z3, 2014 Tige Z3
    2013 Tige Z3, 2004 Tige 24V (Legen....dary)

I am not sure because I have not tested both boats myself.. but I have read quite a few posts that said that the 22Ve and 24Ve handle about the same. If this is true then I am sure that the 22V and 24V also handle the same. About the gas mileage on the 6.0L vs. the 5.7L I have no idea. Maybe someone on here knows more about the mileage that the 6.0L engine gets..
    If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

I think some people had some problems with the 6.0 but I not sure what the problem is/was....
      Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

I think anhaney has a 2005 24V with the 6.0L engine. Maybe he will chime in her or you could shoot him a PM.
        If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

Originally posted by wakeboarder247 View Post
          I think anhaney has a 2005 24V with the 6.0L engine. Maybe he will chime in her or you could shoot him a PM.
          Sorry it took so long to find this post. I have been ignoring the Vseries post for a while. I love my 24V with the 6.0L. We go all day on a tank of gas and into the next day. I have the PCM 6.0 though not the Marine Power. I have heard some bad things about the Marine Power Engine. But as for my PCM I love it and I love the power. It never needs to go beyond half throttel to do anything we want to do. When my wife was learning to drive for me on a single ski my arms about ripped off when she nailed the throttel. It has plenty of power.

Comment

The only problem the marine power 6.0 was having is fixable. It was a heat problem and was causing fuel percolation. Give Dom at Forte's Inboard Connection a call at 888-517-3178. He is on here from time to time also so he might chime in, but he has a marine power 6 liter in a boat he uses in competition that he did the fix on and has had great success with it. Hope you make a deal on the 24v.

http://www.inboardconnection.com/

Comment

We have an 05 24V with the 6.0 MP and have had no problems at all. Buy the biggest Tige you can afford or you will buy it as your next Tige in a year or two.
              We are on our second 24, the first being a 2000 23V. Great boat for families, lots of friends, boarding, and or surfing.
              We have about 40 hours on ours, just bought it in December with 32 hours. Th previous owner didn't have much time to use it.
              I was told by our local dealer that the 6.0L is a car engine put in a boat and it runs hotter, usually around 190 compared to 175 on the 5.7L. The heat exchanger, closed loop system, is a nice feature also, but you do need to check your "radiator" occasionally.
              You will love the 24.

Comment

Can you explain the "closed loop system"? I too have the 6.0L in a 24V and I just got the boat back from the shop and I made it 20' past the no wake zone before it overheated last weekend. A true closed cooling system wouldn't have an impeller but the mechanic thinks that is what went bad.
                "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
                "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

Originally posted by evil0ne View Post
                  Can you explain the "closed loop system"? I too have the 6.0L in a 24V and I just got the boat back from the shop and I made it 20' past the no wake zone before it overheated last weekend. A true closed cooling system wouldn't have an impeller but the mechanic thinks that is what went bad.

It is a closed loop system. However the radiator is cooled by lake water since there is no way to get air flow over the radiator. You do have coolant in the system and if it was ever flushed out you could have an air pocket in the system causing it to over heat. Lake water cools the transmission and V-Drive in addition to the radiator. that takes and impeller to move the water through the system. What type of engine is it? I can get impellers for a decent price. They only take about 30 minutes to replace. Is it a PCM or Marine Power Marine power? Impellers take about 15 minutes to replace. PCM's you have to remove the belt drive to do it and it adds a little time. Where Marine Power the pumps are right on the front of the crank and require no belt to drive them which in my opinion is better it provides let horsepower to run it and if the belt breaks you do not get stranded.
                  Last edited by anhaney; 05-15-2007, 09:11 AM.

Comment

The 6.0l is a truck engine not a car . By design it is a cleaner burn which requires it to run hotter, due to this at idle speeds or shut down for rider changes the fuel would boil in the lines and cause purculation which would cause a multitude of drivability issues , marine power has since modified the cooling system which can be retroffitted to any older engine and elliminate that problem , all 6.0l in the marine useage had this problem .

Comment

Originally posted by evil0ne View Post
                      The local dealer suggests changing the impeller annually, worse case every two years. If you are not able to run your boat monthly to keep the impeller lubricated and moving freely, its cheap insurance to get it replaced at the beginning of the summer.
                      I would like to see a step by step on how to change the impeller on a MP engine if it only takes 30 minutes to change. We must be lucky as we have not had any problems yet.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I should hear back from the dealer today. I know the whole boat is getting re gelled as they had gel cracking issues. Also the interior is being replaced to make the boat in new condition.
                        2016 Tige Z3, 2014 Tige Z3
                        2013 Tige Z3, 2004 Tige 24V (Legen....dary)

Comment

TigeDuner
                          I too would like to see instructions on how to change the impeller on a 2005 5.7l 24v. Anyone out there have instructions on this? It would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
                            TigeDuner
                            I too would like to see instructions on how to change the impeller on a 2005 5.7l 24v. Anyone out there have instructions on this? It would be much appreciated.
                            I don't have printed instructions but I can tell you how to do it. The pump is connected to the front of the crankshaft on the outside of the engine. Remove the from cover from the pump. Look at what directions the veins are turned on the old impeller before removing it. I use a silicone past or a whole lot of soap and install the new one. The silicone or Soap is simply to Keep it lubed until the water gets back to the impeller when ruining it for the first time. Put the new o-ring or gasket in and bolt the cover to the impeller pump back on. Pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by anhaney View Post
                              What type of engine is it? I can get impellers for a decent price. They only take about 30 minutes to replace. Is it a PCM or Marine Power Marine power? Impellers take about 15 minutes to replace. PCM's you have to remove the belt drive to do it and it adds a little time. Where Marine Power the pumps are right on the front of the crank and require no belt to drive them which in my opinion is better it provides let horsepower to run it and if the belt breaks you do not get stranded.
                              It is the Marine Power. I appreciate the heads up on the price discount but the dealer is covering it since I didn't make it from the trailer to the no wake zone once it left their building. I was just curious how the closed cooling actually worked in conjunction with raw lake water.

BTW, it was replaced at the annual service in December.
                              "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
                              "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

Working...
                              X