Replacing my Strut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing my Strut

I have been chasing a vibration for some time and discovered my strut is bent. I got a new one from MARINE HARDWARE. I heard they make the hardware for everybody....
    Anyway, I got the strut last year, buy never mustered the currage to jump into the replacement project. I am not sure a human can get their fingers on the nuts under the oilpan.... any thoughts ??
    Also... can a shaft be checked for straightness on the boat with a dial indicator ?? Where do they bend?? in the middle or back where the prop hooks on ??
    I put a dial indicator on the tip behind the prop and it was PERFECT......
    Any thoughts on this ??

If the strut is bent, I think the shaft needs a very close inspection, or you may find it does not fix things.

I do not know much about it, but when I bent a strut on a v-drive a few years ago, I was told it cost so much to fix because they had to lift the engine to get at the bolts, OUCH!
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
      If the strut is bent, I think the shaft needs a very close inspection, or you may find it does not fix things.

I do not know much about it, but when I bent a strut on a v-drive a few years ago, I was told it cost so much to fix because they had to lift the engine to get at the bolts, OUCH!

I have replaced my strut. It is easy. 30 minutes max with two people. I reached my arm around under the pan it is all by feel. There is six bolts. Have a person under the boat with large screw driver that you can put a wrench on and go at it. Don't pay the dealer to have it done. The shafts are easy to replace also. the bolts on the colars for the shaft packing are allen bolts 1/8 in size. There is two bolts on top of two others to lock them all in place so the main two do not back out. Take out the back seat and back bench out of the boat. that gives you a lot of access to work on it. You can replace a shaft and strut in two hours easy. Don't be afraid of it. Take on the challenge and save $2000.00 bucks. If you have questions I can give you call and guide you on it. It is really easy. The shaft is only allowed .003 run out and that is not much. Chances are you will need a new shaft if the strut is bent.

Comment

I am now the expert.....

I replaced the strut this past Sunday, It sucked !! But... I am now the worlds leading expert at 1999 Tige 2100V strut replacement.....

Anyone needing help, just post........

Comment

Shooting for the stars that someone will see this super old post!

When the shaft is removed, does the rudder also need to be removed? Currently my shaft would slide port side of the rudder, will the straight strut cause the rudder to be in the way?

What sealant should be used when the new strut is placed?

Thank you all!

Comment

Some boats have an offset rudder so you can take shaft in and out, some are inline and rudder has to come out. I'd say if you can get your shaft out now with the strut bent do that, install new strut and you'll know real quick if you need to drop the rudder after new strut is on.

Double check that your shaft isn't bent. Would be a shame if you do have to drop the rudder, get all the work done and shaft is bent too.

Comment

You'll want to use 3M 5200 Sealant. Have a rag with some rubbing alcohol or similar handy to clean up the excess once done.

Comment

Wow, thank you so much. Amazing the amount of information you all have in those thinking pieces! Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X