22V wakes for skiing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22V wakes for skiing

I'm strongly considering buying an awesome new 2006 22V but am a little worried about the wake size for skiing. I mostly ski but have friends that wakeboard and likely will start myself if I get this. I currently own a small outboard boat so this is a huge step up. Any comments?

Also, the one I'm considering doesn't have the SpeedSet option. Will I be missing out or won't notice since I'm not use to having it right now? I assume it would hold pretty constant speed but I haven't driven one myself so your input would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by TigeDreamer View Post
    I'm strongly considering buying an awesome new 2006 22V but am a little worried about the wake size for skiing. I mostly ski but have friends that wakeboard and likely will start myself if I get this. I currently own a small outboard boat so this is a huge step up. Any comments?

Also, the one I'm considering doesn't have the SpeedSet option. Will I be missing out or won't notice since I'm not use to having it right now? I assume it would hold pretty constant speed but I haven't driven one myself so your input would be greatly appreciated!
    No Speed set or Perfect pass? I would want one or the other, but my 05 22V holds speed very well. I'm actually a little too handsy on the throttle, and that's why I prefer the Perfect Pass. But I didn't use the Perfect Pass for the first year we had the boat

As for the wake. Remember that this is a V drive, and won't ever have that butter smooth wake that say a smaller 20i will. But it is certainly ski-able.

I find that if I play with the Taps a bit, have the weight more or less equal port to starboard, and have some weight (people weight) in the bow, that the wake flattens out even more than most people would expect.

The only real skier in our clan says it is a very good recreational ski wake, but not tournament class, which it is not rated for.

I wish I had some pics for you, but honestly, I'm the only one who takes pics, and I am the driver for the skier.
    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

My sister in law said the wake was not much taller or wider than the direct drives that she has always skied behind, she's a die hard recreation slalom skier. I would definately get perfect pass if you get the boat. I never thought I needed it and agree that my 2005 22v held speed very well, but once you start using it...you won't ever want to be in or behind a boat without it.

Comment

Perfect pass or speed set is a must. Marriage Saver. If I or anyone even starts to say anything to driver (wife) points to it and says, "it was a perfect pass"
        My dad always said "Stupid Hurts". He's yet to be proven wrong, but for some reason I keep trying.

Comment

I had to give up waterskiing a few years ago and now I just wakeboard and am starting to surf. A good friend of mine has a 21i and I have a 22v. He says he actually perfers my 22vs wake. As for perfect pass or equivelent I would recomend it. I can hold a pretty consistant speed but it sure makes it eaiser for rookie drivers and less frustrating for me when Im riding

Comment

Perfect pass is a definate must have. Do not know much about skiing even though my friend says my 24V is not to bad for him ti ski behind
            Let it be!!!

Comment

V-Drive wake is always harder. Impact differance will be obvious regardless of edge held thru wake.

Comment

Ditto on the PerfectPass. Tequila's comments are spot on. My guess is that the wake will be comparable to your current boat's wake. Are there better wakes? Absolutely, but then you really start to get one-dimensional with your boat's abilities. I've got the 22V predecessor and the only thing I've seen that I like better is the new RZ2.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                  No Speed set or Perfect pass? I would want one or the other, but my 05 22V holds speed very well. I'm actually a little too handsy on the throttle, and that's why I prefer the Perfect Pass. But I didn't use the Perfect Pass for the first year we had the boat

As for the wake. Remember that this is a V drive, and won't ever have that butter smooth wake that say a smaller 20i will. But it is certainly ski-able.

I find that if I play with the Taps a bit, have the weight more or less equal port to starboard, and have some weight (people weight) in the bow, that the wake flattens out even more than most people would expect.

The only real skier in our clan says it is a very good recreational ski wake, but not tournament class, which it is not rated for.

I wish I had some pics for you, but honestly, I'm the only one who takes pics, and I am the driver for the skier.
                  tequ

you could take a pic of your mirror
                  The sun never sets on a badass

Comment

Originally posted by wannabewakeboarder View Post
                    tequ

you could take a pic of your mirror
                    You are seriously underestimating the size of my skull dude.

Comment

Tequila have you checked for bald spots lately because up here in st. louis its been getting warm, any chance the suns been reflecting off your head?
                      Common Sense is not so Common
                      Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

You are seriously underestimating the size of my skull dude.

what?

Comment

Originally posted by zad0030 View Post
                          Tequila have you checked for bald spots lately because up here in st. louis its been getting warm, any chance the suns been reflecting off your head?
                          I am getting a little thin up there, 2 kids will do that to you....

Originally posted by wannabewakeboarder View Post
                          what?
                          Big skull = mirror image of skull blocks the wake in the mirror.

Comment

I am getting a little thin up there, 2 kids will do that to you....

Big skull = mirror image of skull blocks the wake in the mirror.
                            haha well if its not to crowded you could always turn around rele quick...done that before

Comment

Working...
                            X