Ballast tank question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast tank question???

Does anyone know exactly how many gallons the ballast tanks in the factory system of a 2005 22v would be??? I know I can measure and do some snazzy math to figure cubic inches to gallons...but this might be faster I am thinking of replacing my solid tanks with bags and am starting to look at what I should get. I know there is significantly more weight in the back with the tanks also and from what most say, I should be more a a 50/50 weight dist. I am going to aim for that with the bags.

Originally posted by mtnsmith View Post
    Does anyone know exactly how many gallons the ballast tanks in the factory system of a 2005 22v would be??? I know I can measure and do some snazzy math to figure cubic inches to gallons...but this might be faster I am thinking of replacing my solid tanks with bags and am starting to look at what I should get. I know there is significantly more weight in the back with the tanks also and from what most say, I should be more a a 50/50 weight dist. I am going to aim for that with the bags.
    If you knew how much each tank is supposed to weight full....... Divide that by 8.3, that should be close?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have no idea on weight. I never really got a solid feel for whether or not my ballast set-up was 800 lbs or 1000 lbs.

Comment

Yours was ordered with the thousand pound system , I believe its 400 per side in the rear and 100 per side in the front.

Comment

the tanks I had in mine were about 8" tall, and weighed in @ about 250. If they are taller than 8" you should be @ about 400.

Not sure why I rec'd the smaller tanks. I ended up switching mine out for sacs.

Comment

What sacs did you use and where did you get them? Is it true that I should really go for more of a 50/50 weight distribution?

Comment

Originally posted by FIC View Post
              Yours was ordered with the thousand pound system , I believe its 400 per side in the rear and 100 per side in the front.
              Thanks Dom, I meant to ask you the other day.

Comment

I have the Flyhigh V-drive sacs. I got them from Lee. He is my dealer / pusherman, and he works closely with FlyHigh. Believe it or not, the V shaped bow sac was his idea.

As far as 50/50 is concerned, I'd say distribute the weight, as evenly as possible. This summer, I'm going to play with putting weight in the cabin, bow and v-drive area and see what happens. IMO, I think I need another 400-500 lbs to get it exactly where I want it.
                Last edited by Lucky 275; 02-01-2007, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Is that v-shaped bow sac the one that goes under the seats? I am interested in that one to free up the space in my compartments but I wonder about running the plumbing up there from where it is now. I would just have to drill through the bow storage compartment wall I suppose. I have also read that depending on the boat that sac can not completely fill anyways.

Comment

A friend that has a 22ve has that bow sac, it does not fill all the way. We estimated about 400-500lbs. instead of the 800lb. capacity. One thing to think about is you have no control of port or starboard fill, so if you surf a lot 2 separate sacs might be better!

Comment

I'd say about 400lbs in the bow, and yes there are holes drilled in the compartment wall. If you do, make sure your drill a little off the floor to keep water from running back into the other storage areas.

Comment

Water running back? Where would the water be from?

Comment

Sorry, taking water over the bow. I've had that happen once or twice.

Comment

I'm fortunate that I have not done that...yet. I am sure that day will come sometime, especially if I get more ballast and place it further forward. I think I might go ahead and order one of those bow sacs and keep an eye out for some v-drive bags on e-bay or something. What size v-drive bags did you get? I have seen the fly high ones and they look nice.

Comment

I have the 450's from Fly High. I also have the quick disconnects so can easily remove them if necessary. There is a guy on ebay that sells blemished Fly High stuff. He's out of TN. There is plenty of room in the rear compartment for the 450s, and all the rest of my gear. I thought about the 750 lb sacs, but I don't have room to put an equal amount of weight in front to balance it out, without some extra sacs laying in the floor.

Here's his ebay store
                              http://stores.ebay.com/Jacobs-Extreme-Watersports

Comment

Working...
                              X