Securing steering cable and part #? for 2000 21V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing steering cable and part #? for 2000 21V

Hi, I'm new to this forum and recently bought a 2000 21V Rider's Edition with 460hrs. I've already spent a couple hours in the forums here and have collected lots of good info. I'm not new to boats though as this is my 5th one. I live in Lake Havasu and pretend to know a little more than a weekender, but I'm a shade-tree mechanic and attempt just enough repairs that I can efficiently ruin what I attempt to fix on my boats. As I'm crawling around and inspecting my Tige, I see the previous owner nicely re-routed the steering cable above the fuel tank for easier replacing. My question is though, shouldn't there be something anchoring or collaring the steering cable in place? As it sits now, it's free-floating on top of the fuel tank and unsecured from the steering wheel to the rudder. I've looked in the bilge and can't really see anything holding it down there either.

Also, I can't see the part number on the cable. I emailed Tige a few days ago for the part # and haven't heard from them yet (maybe due to covid delays). Does anyone know the part #? Thank you for your advice in advance and I deserve any salty opinions.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Mine is rotary. I’ll have to check out the sleeve under the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby
        There is a sleeve for sure it will not need to be changed your new cable will screw into the old sleeve.
        Thanks gumby. I've located the sleeve. Wondering: Does the amount that sleeve is screwed in or out affect the amount of steering to one side or the other. Today I noticed the tiller rudder arm actually hitting my stern wall.

Comment

Working...
        X