6.0L MP - ECM Hours Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.0L MP - ECM Hours Conundrum

Hello all - Is there any way the hour meter in the ECM could be wrong????? I have read these forums and know that the faria commander tach/hour meter can reset itself w/ low voltage but that’s not what I am referring to.

Situation: Bought our 05 24V, 6.0L Marine Power in 9/2015 private party and had the local Tige dealer (who is no longer in business) service the boat and verify the hours. I am trying to find the original paperwork from 2015 but at the time I did make a note in my iPhone, 202 hours. So I am pretty sure that was the correct number at original purchase.

Over the years I have done annual service myself and did a few big projects like ballast install, full stereo upgrade, replaced gauges, made a new swim platform, etc., all with help from people on this site! Thanks all!

I had the dealer do the annual service this year because I did not have time w/ work and the print out from the ECM says the boat has 682 hours!!!! Based on the amount of times we actually get to make lake trips I can’t see any conceivable way we put almost 500 hours on this boat in a little over 4 years. What is even more suspicious is that 392 of the 682 hours are at 0-1,000 RPM?????

This is why I ask if there is any way the ECM hours could be wrong?

We float and party cove a lot but the engine is never running for any long amount of time. Always have the key on ACC. I read on these forums the ECM hour meter may be tied to the oil pump? So if the oil pump gets power then does the hour meter starts counting? If true, could I have screwed something up when I wired up all my projects to make the oil pump have power on ACC, thus the ECM starts counting hours while on ACC? I am just baffled about the current hour print out based on what I believe was true when we bought the boat. Or maybe I was lied to?.

Oil pump is not electric but something could be hooked up wrong in the wiring to supply power to the ECM.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
      Oil pump is not electric but something could be hooked up wrong in the wiring to supply power to the ECM.
      Okay thank you. I think I am going to make the investment in the software and cable needed to scan and data log since i try to do most of the repairs and service myself. I think I saw from Team Allen and a few others that this is what i need. http://mefiburn.com/mefiscan.asp

I suppose once I have this I can test to see if the ECM has power at "ACC" and diagnose if my suspicions are accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
        So would you know if hours start to tick as soon as ECM has power? That might explain why so many hours are from "0-1,000 RPM"

Comment

Working...
        X