Steering Cable, Rudder, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Cable, Rudder, etc

I am replacing my steering cable in my 2013 R20. There was something really wrong. Really hard to steer. After getting it all replaced and ready to hook up, I noticed that the rudder was a little bent (very slight). That could have bent the shaft above making it a little harder to rotate? I can move the rudder fairly easily with my hands. It has a slight hesitation/bind from stop to move but not serious. I just don't know how loose that should be? Should it be floating freely with no steering cable attached? I also found the grease zirc. I can't get grease to pump into it. I'm going to try to replace the zirc. I'm thinking I need to drop the whole thing out and inspect it. This job is getting big! Just seeing if anyone has thoughts.

It should be pretty easy to move it with nothing attached to it. If it isn’t I’d suspect something is binding up. Also it’s pretty strange you aren’t able to get any grease in to the zirc, being a 14’ I wouldn’t think it’d be corroded already.

Comment

I'm with Jet on the zerk. Unless there has been a lot of water in the bilge over time, the zerk should be good.

Pulling the rudder isn't too bad. Helps to have two people. Just disconnect the tiller arm (one bolt that goes through it and the rudder) and it should drop straight down. Look for scarring on the bushing and swap the zerk if needed.
      Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
      X