• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning smell = dead boat

Good afternoon folks,

Boat Specs:
    2000 Tige 21v
    two batteries wired to switch (one deep cell one cranking)
    three amps connected directly to the deep cell. two mounted under cockpit, one in cockpit storage area
    boat was operating under "both" on the switch as it does 99% of the time

Two nights ago we were out cruising when i started to smell a burning smell. I thought it was from under the cockpit but may have been mistaken. The boat started to cut out, almost like running out of gas. I killed all power to the boat (underwater lights, radio, nav's as i thought it may be a dead battery) and turned back towards home. Made it about 100 yards before we were dead in the water. I charged the batteries. Nothing. I did notice my trans oil pressure light will flicker when i turn the key on and then cuts out; also the amps do not have any power. So i'm assuming a burnt up connection but can't find anything. Batteries and switches are all sound, or atleast nothing apparent. I looked under the cockpit but didn't really know what to look for. There's nothing evident.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Sam Pearce

Nothing.
    Elaborate. Nothing powers on? Engine cranks or not, or cranks bit wont start?

also the amps do not have any power.
    Verified with a meter, no voltage at their power terminals or they do not power up? This can be be widely different issues.

Really gonna need a volt meter ont he job, and start checking voltage at the batteries and works forward.

Burning smell can also be an over heated engine.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Elaborate. Nothing powers on? Engine cranks or not, or cranks bit wont start?

Verified with a meter, no voltage at their power terminals or they do not power up? This can be be widely different issues.

Really gonna need a volt meter ont he job, and start checking voltage at the batteries and works forward.

Burning smell can also be an over heated engine.
      Good evening sir!

Engine doesnt crank. nothing at the turn of the key.

I'll get the the meter out there tomorrow and see if where the juice stops. Engine wasn't overheating. I've dealt with overheating issues a while back and always keep an eye on the gauge.

edit: now thinking about it, my remote wire is connected to my head unit. I may be getting power to the amps but nothing to the HU. Will confirm.

Comment

Looks like the connection to the relay burnt up.
        Attached Files

Comment

I think that was a fuse. To the alternator or helm BUS
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I think that was a fuse. To the alternator or helm BUS
            Any idea where i can find a wiring diagram? I'm thinking i'll just cut back the wire, throw in a fuse, replace the starter and rock n roll. I'm just not certain what size fuse i need.

Comment

Check the "downloads" section within this forum for a diagram.

Have you pulled it apart and determined the starter needs replaced? Hard to tell without the main cable boot pulled back, but it looks as though the bulk of the damage is centered around the output side of the fuse. This is usually due to poor connections. Looks doubtful that just cutting back a little cable, will do. That supply cable coming off the fuse looks like its going to need a significant repair.

Comment

Pulled the diagram. Looks like it's a single wire direct from battery to starter solenoid with a 90 amp fuse at the starter side. I found this fuse on amazon... i believe it's the right one, but hard to tell with the excessive corrosion/melted metal.

worst case scenario replace starter, wire from battery to starter, and fuse. sound right?

https://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver-8.../dp/B0038ZYPSW

Comment

Thats the right one but why did it fry? 90 amp is considerable power.
                  Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Are you sure that fuse is in between the starter and battery? Typically not a fuse on the main. Besides. the large cable is likely the main, and likely 2/0 gauge. Unless the main stud on the solenoid is damaged due to the meltdown, I do not see why a starter is needed.

Comment

Are you sure that fuse is in between the starter and battery? Typically not a fuse on the main. Besides. the large cable is likely the main, and likely 2/0 gauge. Unless the main stud on the solenoid is damaged due to the meltdown, I do not see why a starter is needed.
                      i do not have the diagram in front of me at the moment. It's the fuse on the red and orange wire (i believe alternator?), not the battery, to solenoid. Fortunately it's only the fuse... wiring and starter are all good. Just took it all apart. Going to get the fuse and then check what's going on once i have a new one in.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuelp63 View Post
                        i do not have the diagram in front of me at the moment. It's the fuse on the red and orange wire (i believe alternator?), not the battery, to solenoid. Fortunately it's only the fuse... wiring and starter are all good. Just took it all apart. Going to get the fuse and then check what's going on once i have a new one in.
                        Well damn. Fixed the fuse. Boat turns over but doesn’t fire. Sounds like no gas but I double checked. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                        X