first time buyer with 30k budget. Please share advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time buyer with 30k budget. Please share advice

Long time reader. First time posting here, first time boat purchase. Always the passenger, never the driver.

I would love some feedback on boats with the following priorities

#1. Budget $25-30k
    2. 21-22.5' preferred length to fit in the garage which has a 23-10" length
    3. reliable boat and motor (engine, components, longevity)
    4. . Surf wave quality as is ( its going to take awhile to learn to boat before i can learn to adjust wake, ballasts, fins, gates, wedges etc)
    5. 11-14 seater
    6. Heater (wife, lol) and kids are 11,9,6,2. We boat cold utah mountain lakes and i want a longer season. Not sure if that can be added after market.

constantly asking with friends about getting an old top of the line boat vs a newer base model (moomba, heyday, supreme, sanger, etc). Read those threads for months too. THANKS ALL!

Go with a 2006-2008 Tige 22Ve. Great hull and super reliable.

There is a 2006 22Ve listed on this forum under the classified section. Looks clean, located in NY.

There is a 2007 for sale in Michigan for $30K

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2007-Ti...gan-97571.aspx
    Last edited by MikeB313; 08-07-2019, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB313 View Post

There is a 2006 22Ve listed on this forum under the classified section. Looks clean, located in NY.

Mike thanks! ill give them a call and check it out.
      Can you tell me why the 22ve? Im test driving my first boat tomorrow afternoon its a malibu wakesetter 04 VLX, how do you think they might compare.? similar year, similar hull, similar size...

Comment

Welcome to the family. Hope you'll stick around. Our first boat was a 2000 21v. We were totally new to boating and really went out on a limb with buying that boat. Turned out to be a great experience for us. Five years later we still love boating and love Tige. We live in Utah as well. With any luck we head to Sand Hollow the first of April to kick off our season. I surfed on my birthday last year to end our season: November 2. So we can have a long season. We are in wet suits for the first month or two and the last month. We also love our heaters. They can be installed after the purchase if need be without much difficulty. As was mentioned, the 22ve would be a great boat. I think the higher HP motor was the 340. Try to pick that up if you can. At our elevation, we need all the help we can get.
        This one looks like it could be a good one:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56862193

Comment

my second boat was a 22ve and I wish I would not have sold it. fantastic hull. I would echo mike's advice in looking for that year and hull. if you can swing the little extra cash and want to wait, the unicorn of that boat is the '09 model year. alpha z tower and no tigetouch. we hunted for a couple months for one last fall and never found a good used example.
          replace the rear bags with chpthril's oversize bags and you won't ever have to mess with the wake again if you like. we loved the surf wave with factory nose ballast and replaced rear ballast. nothing else.

like unstuck mentioned, focus on finding the right boat and add the missing stuff like heaters later. most mods are pretty easy and not too expensive.
          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
            Welcome to the family. Hope you'll stick around. Our first boat was a 2000 21v. We were totally new to boating and really went out on a limb with buying that boat. Turned out to be a great experience for us. Five years later we still love boating and love Tige. We live in Utah as well. With any luck we head to Sand Hollow the first of April to kick off our season. I surfed on my birthday last year to end our season: November 2. So we can have a long season. We are in wet suits for the first month or two and the last month. We also love our heaters. They can be installed after the purchase if need be without much difficulty. As was mentioned, the 22ve would be a great boat. I think the higher HP motor was the 340. Try to pick that up if you can. At our elevation, we need all the help we can get.
            This one looks like it could be a good one:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56862193
            thanks for the pointers! We love sand hollow- have done kayaks and dirt bikes there for years.
            where do you have your tige serviced? there is no dealer around me in SLC (used to be peterson)
            **** whats the differences in the V and the VE ??
            THANKS!

Comment

+1 for the V/VE hull. I have a 24V and I love it. if you have the coin get the VE. The built in seat on the transom and the two piece bow cushions are luxuries I wish I had.

Comment

Originally posted by drBabs View Post
                thanks for the pointers! We love sand hollow- have done kayaks and dirt bikes there for years.
                where do you have your tige serviced? there is no dealer around me in SLC (used to be peterson)
                **** whats the differences in the V and the VE ??
                THANKS!
                I do all my own repairs and servicing. I make the long haul to Boise for any warranty work. Not sure there is better service than what you get at Prestige. The local dealer here is Germaine Marine in American Fork. I was put off by the service guy when I talked to him on the phone. Clearly the job I needed done didn't interest him. I'm still waiting for him to get back to me from our conversation in April. Sales guys are great though.
                Any boat repair shop or dealer can work on your boat. In the mid 2000's there wasn't much that was Tige unique.
                I'm pretty sure V was just the earlier version of the boat hull. They were found early to mid 2000's. The VE kicked in mid to late 2000. A few differences were noted above. Go for the VE if you can pay a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB313 View Post

Guys, what does the 06-08 tige have that the 04-05 does not? the budget may be a little tighter than i thought, we have to upgrade our towing vehicle now too.
                  Ive been reading up again and also considering a centurion avalanche 04.

Comment

What's your tow vehicle? Most half tons and even the larger SUV's will tow any of the boats we have been talking about.

Comment

unstuck- funny you mention about your experience. my old 22ve came from tyrell at prestige as he was starting up the business. GREAT guy and can't speak enough about them.
                      when i sold the boat we lived in tooele. called around to get a shrinkwrap estimate for the buyer in TN. the tige dealer wanted nothing to do with the business. almost like it was an inconvenience to bother them with a call that wasn't service related.
                      used the moomba/supra dealer and they were fantastic. even let me leave the boat on the lot for almost a week prior to the hauling company picking it up after it was wrapped.
                      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                        What's your tow vehicle? Most half tons and even the larger SUV's will tow any of the boats we have been talking about.
                        man there are a lot of utah guys on here. im always surprised by the boat saturation here for all the small cold crowded lakes and short season
                        we have a v8 4runner , rated to tow 6k, but i think not safely. initially i was looking at 20' boats for storage and size and cost, but i keep hearing longer boats longer waves

Comment

This could be a good boat:
                          https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/b...940795907.html

2004 was also the first year they went all composite vs wood. It also has perfect pass and sounds like at least ballast bags (not automated is my guess)

Vinyl would concern me on this one:
                          https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/...944710577.html

To be honest, the BEST bang for your buck will be to do a WTB thread here and see what anyone has in your budget range for a 22V and 22VE. Get one that already has a custom ballast installed, stereo upgraded, extra boards, etc, etc. Getting one "done" is usually not much more expensive than one that isn't setup for your use. Most of us have dropped a few thousand to get the boat setup with the right ballast, stereo, prop, etc. I wouldn't be too afraid of buying an out of state boat.

Hire a quality marine surveyor to water test it and they will know more than you ever will (they will verify all the equipment works and what doesn't work) and get the compression check on the motor.
                          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

This 2007 would be tempting:
                            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
                              *new member here*

I just bought that boat this week

Comment

Working...
                              X