First boat advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First boat advice needed

It's been 22 years (gawd that's too long) since I've been on the water and am looking to get back into the game. Technically not my first boat but it may be my first Tige.

I'm Mid-40s and not looking to run the course but do want to be able to get across the wake without getting launched. Kids are going to be wake boarding / surfing and probably pull a tube around from time to time. Wife is just going to look good sun bathing and pulling me around ;-) Basically looking for a nice family ski boat that gives us the flexibility and space we need while on the water but can perform when called upon and mitigates as much risk of breaking down as possible. Sure I could spend $100k on a new boat but let's just take small steps for now.

I found a 20 year old 2200v that looks to be in good condition with only a minor tear in one of the seat cushions. Per dealer they found a crack in the block and are pulling the motor and replacing with a 'crate' replacement Mercruiser Mag MPI (350hp). Asking price is just under $20k which seems a bit high but if it truly has a new motor then I think the price could be justified, right?

Question: Knowing that the boat is going to have the motor replaced, what other issues or checklists should I run through to ensure I'm not going to have additional problems. Basically what red flags would a cracked block throw out there for the more experienced Tige owners? Could there be drive shaft or whatever Tige calls it in the V-drive that I could see or notice on a lake test?

I've read several threads about towers being an issue for these older boats. Is there a way to quickly tell which tower is on the boat?

If someone has a buyers checklist that they wouldn't mind sharing that would be excellent.

Thanks for all advice provided.

If you can post some pictures of it, we can tell just about everything about it. The factory towers from ‘99 are junk. My buddy put a new 350mag in his 21v and it runs great. With other stuff we’ve done over the last few years, he’s into it around 25k. Its a great boat and he loves it.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I would agree with nicky except the junk towers were 99,2000, 2001, I think early 2002

Comment

I’d go newer hands down. Spend the extra money on the newer surf systems which usually have better engines and the towers are much better. I currently have a 2004 22v and can’t wait to upgrade. Even with 50-60k budget your getting a very very nice machine that will treat you right for years to come.

Comment

22v sugest 2003 or newer so tower shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

With the previous owner being careless enough to let the block freeze I’d have serious doubts about how the rest of the boat was maintained. IMO there are better buys out there for 20-30k.

Comment

Tower picture below. What are you looking for to determine if its the factory tower that had issues or if its a replacement tower?

https://www.singletonmarine.com/inv/...3498B/#mainpic
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh.....Pre 2200 That Is not the metcrap tower. That looks to be a replacement. The bad ones look like this.
                thumbnail.jpeg

Comment

I thought that boat is a 1998 not a 99 might be something you want to look into.

Comment

That boat with a set of GSA's and a ballast system would be sweet. The early 2200v's were narrow but they didn't have spray pockets and they were deep. I'm a huge fan of them. Not sure what they are really worth though.
                    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by gumby View Post
                      I thought that boat is a 1998 not a 99 might be something you want to look into.
                      Agreed, I was going to say the same thing. Doesn't appear to be a '99 to me so it may be worth looking into. It appears to have sat outside a lot as well due to the discoloration of the seats. I would be very careful with this one. For the 20k mark there are plenty of choices, and plenty of nice Tige's in that range with a lot of life left.

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                        That boat with a set of GSA's and a ballast system would be sweet. The early 2200v's were narrow but they didn't have spray pockets and they were deep. I'm a huge fan of them. Not sure what they are really worth though.
                        x2. I’m not afraid of spray pockets though. There’s only a few minor things I don’t really like about the 2200v. I don’t like the dash. Just kinda fugly. I don’t like the bow seats. Funky but easily redone to a flat base. Not a big fan of the one piece rear hatch. Again, something that could be modified later if one was so inclined. Again, minor things. The interior looks factory. Considering it’s age, it looks pretty good. As stated, that is not the Metcrap tower. If I were in the market for an old boat, I’d go drive it.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I also am not a fan of the dash. Price IMO a bit high(for a 98) but I am looking at pics. The boat might be super clean. There are a few Tiges out there at this price point. Like nicky I don't like the one pice hatch. I am always in and out of them. I couldn't imagine one hatch. That is just me.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input up to this point...Seems like we have a mixed bag of likes vs don't likes and price appears to be high.

What is the indication of '98 vs '99 model year? Is there a way to confirm for certain?

Comment

And follow up to original post. Would this be the model you would recommend for general all around boat in the Tige family? Better family boat with ability to wake,surf, and ski.

Comment

Working...
                              X