2001 21v fox surfing ballast help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 21v fox surfing ballast help

2001 21v fox edition 350hp. Hi. I am totally new to the group obviously and new to forums as well. Please be gentle. I searched the site and found a bunch one ballast for the boat for surfing. What I am looking for is the best placement and % front, back and sides to add weight. I understand the need to change the rear weight from left to right to adjust for goofy or regular. I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Welcome. First off!!!!
    I did a lot of research with our stile hull. You can read about it here "quest for the wave" (not sure how to link) My option is you can get a really nice from our boats that will compare to any boat here. There are some mods I think are necessary. I currently run 1150 each locker 1000 up front. I use a suck gate. 2571 prop. 11.2 mph.
    Although 750 each locker V bag up front +100 in lead doesn't suck. Acme1433 10.8 I am at 600 elevation. blue v drive. actually I recommend the 750 setup if you roll with a big crew.
    Last edited by gumby; 07-18-2019, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby View Post
      Welcome. First off!!!!
      I did a lot of research with our stile hull. You can read about it here "quest for the wave" (not sure how to link) My option is you can get a really nice from our boats that will compare to any boat here. There are some mods I think are necessary. I currently run 1150 each locker 1000 up front. I use a suck gate. 2571 prop. 11.2 mph.
      Although 750 each locker V bag up front +100 in lead doesn't suck. Acme1433 10.8 I am at 600 elevation. blue v drive. actually I recommend the 750 setup if you roll with a big crew.
      Wow. Thank you. Sounds like a lot of weight up front is good. Mostly light surfers 170 and less. Sounds like you are recommending around a total of 3k split between 1k front and 1k each locker in the rear?

Comment

The 1050 setup mods that are necessary.
        Engine air intake. When you are loaded down it is so close to the water One person standing on the back gets scary. To me.
        My natacurl is also modified to fit the hull. and a few other mods to make the surface bigger
        You Got to drive just can't jump off the gas. the wave will come in the vent. You can NEVER turn around on the surfer side.Wave will come over the front.
        Lead you will need some 400 lbs
        Chrip can help you sacks and pumps, props and such if you plan on pluming it all in.

Comment

Big crew means amount of people not weight of people.

Comment

1050 mods? Usually just a bunch of kids less than 150# each that I can adjust position. I plan on using static weight instead of fillable sacs. However, I can love the weight around in 50# increments to adjust to front, front side, rear bench, and rear lockers. Just trying to find out what the best ratio is. I apologize if I am not asking for the correct question or know the abbreviations of some answers. Still learning.

Comment

All good. We were all beginners at one time.
              You will need sacks what type is up to you. You can't drive around with 3000 pounds of Lead in the boat all the time. If that is what you mean by static. I mean I guess you could just keep good insurance on the boat. and might make it hard to get on the trailer. O the poor trailer. LOL

Comment

Looked up 2571 props. Do I want 3 or 4 blade? Looks like both have 2571 (not really sure what that designates) options. Our current 4 blade is scratched and a little notched so needs to be fixed or replaced anyway.

Comment

V drives take 4 blades direct drives take 3 blades do you have a black v drive or a blue?
                  blue or black will make a difference in what prop you get also.
                  Last edited by gumby; 07-18-2019, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby View Post
                    V drives take 4 blades direct drives take 3 blades do you have a black v drive or a blue?
                    Damn. Now I feel really ignorant. Where is the blue or black color to associate with the V drive I have?

Comment

IMG_1473 (1).jpg
                      the blue is the v drive

Comment

Makes sense on not just cruising around with that much weight. Boat sits on a lift but yes you are right about having all that weight in the boat all the time. Seems I am looking for a realistic balance of weight, suck gate, and prop to have to adjust “lightly” to be able to surf or just ride around when needed. Am I unrealistic?

Comment

Aahhh. You are awesome. I’ll go out in the AM and check the color. Thank you.

Comment

Just to give you an idea this pic is only 400 each corner me 190 ish and the dog. Front full.
                            IMG_7841 copy.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 2001 21v View Post
                              Aahhh. You are awesome. I’ll go out in the AM and check the color. Thank you.
                              Looks like I have the blue drive. Is there a specific prop best suited for this for surfing?

Comment

Working...
                              X