Buying my first boat....Is this a good deal? 99' Tige 21V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying my first boat....Is this a good deal? 99' Tige 21V

Hi guys. I am in college and am looking at buying my first wake boat. I fond this 99' Tige 21V, and after lots of research on this forum and others, it would be a good boat for me. I am going to look at it this week. Any advice for me? and just by looking at the ad, what can you guys say about the price he is asking? Is this a decent deal for a 20 year old boat? I don't want to dump a ton of money into it, so what kinds of things should I look out for? I should also note that I plan on adding ballast to be able to surf behind it. All and any comments appreciated.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/boa/d/...914504810.html

seems like a good buy, one thing nice about a mercruiser if anything ever goes wrong parts are easily available and so is finding a place to work on it. Dont think youll get into a vdrive boat for less than that, especially being the vinyl looks in good shape. Id probably scoop it up if it was near me.

Comment

Originally posted by tigemech View Post
      seems like a good buy, one thing nice about a mercruiser if anything ever goes wrong parts are easily available and so is finding a place to work on it. Dont think youll get into a vdrive boat for less than that, especially being the vinyl looks in good shape. Id probably scoop it up if it was near me.
      A few other things... how difficult is it to install ballast bags and pumps w all the electrical and such? I am a do it yourself type of person, and am proficient in working on cars, motorcycles, and have done some basic work on my waverunner. Second, I asked for a lake test, but he is 2 hours from any lake and says it isn't possible, however is happy to start the boat at his house. It makes sense, but would you ever buy a boat without being able to lake test?
      Thanks again.

Comment

Pics and pice look pretty good especially for a Vdrive. There is no way I’d buy a 20yr old boat or even a 2 year old boat without a test drive. Just too many things that could be wrong that you can’t tell off of a fake a lake. Offer to pay for his gas to get there if they reject a 2hr drive.

Ballast is easy if your handy and there’s tons of good guys on here to help you out, plus our own ballast dealer that will set you up with everything you need. Check out http://www.mikesliquidaudio.com or msg user name chpthril.

Comment

I personally wouldn't buy without a lake test b/c you can't test everything on the driveway. If you're serious about buying it hopefully he'll come around. If you're handy and willing to learn on the job a little then a ballast installation is not too difficult. Many ballast installations are well documented here on the forums so recommend doing some research here to see what's entailed.

For ballast kit options and costs reach out to Mike @ Mikes Liquid Audio (chpthril) here on the forums. Mike has the knowledge and experience to put together a kit that's right for your particular boat model, etc. I bought a kit from Mike earlier this year that included all hardware, electrical, supplies, and detailed instructions. It took me about 20 hours over a couple of weekends with zero ballast install experience.

Let us know how it goes!

Comment

That sure looks like a clean boat for the price. There one thing confusing me. Lists a lot of audio but I'm not seeing any of it. I could get if he took it out for anti theft, but I'm not seeing any wires/cabling in the usual places where people mount amps on these boats. Would possibly consider asking for more detailed pics, or maybe he bought it all and it's still in boxes in the garage....just thinking it's worth looking into.

I wouldnt buy a boat with out a lake test unless my local lake was frozen in the dead of winter. Best way to find out if it has a shaft seal leak, or other leaks. Best way to find out of it's down on power. Best way to find out if theres any slipping in the trans. Just lots of good reasons.

IF I were to buy a boat sitting on a trailer with no test drive I would be THAT guy because I'm a nerd. I'd bring my compression tester and pull plugs. Fill bilge with water and see if water leaks from the inside out. Check the steering wheel to see if it butter smooth or stiff(needs a steering cable if its stiff). Check trans, vdrive, and engine oil. Bilge, blower, horn, nav lights. You get the idea...

If you want PM me your email address I can give you a presale checklist that we use at our shop for all trade ins/consignments.

+1 for.using Mike for your ballast needs as well!! Hes awesome and has helped out MANY here on the forum.

Comment

The stainless prop scares me. It would be the first thing I would change. Maybe I have bent too many props in the past and that is what scares me lol!
              Oh Yeah!

Comment

My thoughts if you don't lake test it you are kinda buying a pig in a poke. His price is cheep enough but not cheep enough to replace the drive line components. I would show him you are serious look at the boat. if you are standing in front of him with cash in hand and he doesn't want to go to the lake any time before you give him the money. That would make me have to go to my gut feeling about the guy. and sometimes your gut might be wrong.
                Look at things like where is he meeting you. Is hit paper work in order. Did he represent the boat completely accurate on every thing else. Did he insure the the boat. Sometimes you can just tell if people are on the up in up. All that said there is no substitute for taking the boat to the lake!!!!!
                Last edited by gumby; 06-21-2019, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I had a difficult time as well working out a lake test with my seller, time wise was tough to schedule a time for both of us.

I wrote up a document, did a thorough walk through, left a refundable deposit and the seller allowed me to take the boat/trailer at my convenience for a lake test. My document I wrote up was notarized after our inspection.

If you would like, I would be happy to share that document with you and maybe you could work something like that out with the seller.

But I would personally never purchase a boat without being able to water test it.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby View Post
                    My thoughts if you don't lake test it you are kinda buying a pig in a poke. His price is cheep enough but not cheep enough to replace the drive line components. I would show him you are serious look at the boat. if you are standing in front of him with cash in hand and he doesn't want to go to the lake any time before you give him the money. That would make me have to go to my gut feeling about the guy. and sometimes your gut might be wrong.
                    Look at things like where is he meeting you. Is hit paper work in order. Did he represent the boat completely accurate on every thing else. Did he insure the the boat. Sometimes you can just tell if people are on the up in up. All that said there is no substitute for taking the boat to the lake!!!!!
                    I am setting up a lake test this weekend. I have to drive 3.5 hours, but I know the boat is in good shape as I had a buddy in tucson go look at it. I see you have the same boat but one year newer, do you think 15K for a 99' 21V is a good deal? What would be a fair price to offer him if all checks out? Also, do you know if that is the factory tower or if it is upgraded?

Comment

If it’s in good shape, it’s a great price. That is not the factory tower. Looks like a period correct PhatBudde. A lot those towers were put on at the dealerships in SoCal and Arizona. Kinda odd to see one with side mount rear legs though.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I am in 100% agreement with Nickypoo great price assuming it all checks out. and like he said it is not the "fence post tower" it is about the same as what I paid for mine except I drove 20 hours (one way) To get mine.thank god mine checked out. Mine did have the Fence post tower. So you are ahead of the game there. I would ask him to make sure he has the lower center section fiberglass unscrewed so you can check the v drive oil it is easy to do 2 screws and 2 1/4 20 nuts. this will also let you look at the bulge area for oil leaks. mine is free to this day. I have a plug under there I remove every time instead of the back plug. not all of them have this plug. Yours my or my not. if it doesn't I recommend putting one in if you are going to store the boat outside. Witch is where mine is stored.
                        Last edited by gumby; 06-25-2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X