2007 22VE - Hesitation/Low Power at Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 22VE - Hesitation/Low Power at Idle

So, an interesting thing happened to us today. We had been running the boat and stopped for dinner. (probably put an hour on it, at various levels of load) On our way out of the marina, while at idle, Idle+300 RPM (500-900 or so), the boat kind of wouldn't push any more power. If you gave it a little more gas, it would almost "unstuck" and jump up to 1200 RPM or so. The boat ran fine under load (35MPH or so) - albeit with maybe a slight hesitation coming onto plane.

My gut says the Transmission or V-Drive was "stuck", and the engine pushed it loose under load. I would also say the vDrive was a making a little bit of noise, but not way worse then it always has (It kind of has a click to it at low RPM and a gentle hum at high RPM, which I've heard in other outdrives and such in my life).

Needless to say, I'm probably going to have the local on the water boat guy come out and do a full service on it - change the fluids, check for water, etc. But you guys are all geniuses so I'd see what you thought?

The engine runs fine. If you push the transmission bypass and give it gas, it revs fine and sounds awesome. So I don't think the engine is the problem.

Let me know..

-B

Short update, no final answer yet. Discussed with dealer and we're running under the assumption something got caught up in the prop and broke free. Going to go under the boat and check the strut, etc. His feedback is the vDrive is kind of either a huge issue or a non issue, and this sounded like not a huge issue. Will keep testing

(Also, tranny and vdrive fluids are 6 months old with about 8 hours on them, so probably not the culprit)

I would assume that if the vdrive cooler had froze or something (It shouldnt, I drained it) it would be a much more catastrophic result then what we're seeing.

Comment

So, it happened again. Little more data. Same place, same situation. Ran fine for a few hours. Parked for dinner. On our way out of the cove the boat kind of lost power. This time, I put it into neutral, bypassed the transmission, and tried to give it gas. No dice, rpm dropped, it acted starved for gas. Put it back in neutral, idled fine. After a minute or two, it kind of revved a little (from 600rpm idle to an 800rpm idle) and then worked just fine from there on out

It’s almost like a sensor or something is giving wrong data and it’s not giving the motor fuel? It seems to happen after the motor has cooled down a little bit, but isn’t cold.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, brainstorming... (I think talking to myself helps)

Could it be the MAP sensor? I'm down to that at this point. Given how well the boat idles and runs under power, I have to think it's a sensor issue somewhere. What else would not cause a major problem at idle, but prevent the motor from getting sufficient fuel as you give it throttle?

Hmmmm... Also, if it is MAP, it seems like the problem will probaly get worse until I'm stuck :/

Comment

Bad gas...water in the gas? Did it happen shortly after a gas fill up?
          Nick
          Dayton, Ohio

Comment

Good questions. Havent put fuel in in a bit (30-45 days), but seems like bad gas would be an ongoing issue, not spot like I'm seeing...

Comment

Working...
            X